Want to learn Directx3d

Started by
6 comments, last by nullsmind 17 years, 11 months ago
Hey, I'm hoping to start learning DirectX 3d in c++. I've looked over the internet and I really can't find any good beginner tutorials. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I would prefer it to be DirectX 9. I have one more question. The tutorials I've looked at all require the authors 'special' utility library which should help the process. Is this really necessary? Will all tutorials provide this? Should I avoid tutorials which require this?
Advertisement
First of all it's Direct3d, not directx3d, which is probably why you're not finding much in the way of useful information. :) I should also warn you that D3D is not for the faint of heart. I found OpenGL to be easier, but then again, I really haven't done much in the way of D3D coding.

For tutorials, try these sites:
http://www.codesampler.com/dx9src.htm
http://www.riaz.de/tutorials/d3d.html
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article2249.asp
The last one covers initializing a window with SDL. Using SDL as opposed to using pure windows code makes things much easier.
Sorry about that. I thought it was Directx3d!

Anyways, I went with the second tutorial, but the code doesn't compile. I even downloaded all his source and put it into my project, but it gives a bunch of errors. I was disappointed since I spent a while working on that.
This is a good site as well. Link
SDBradley
CGP
"A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read." ~Mark Twain
In addition to those sites there are several good books out there.
The only one that comes to my mind right now is Beginning DirectX9 by Wendy Jones. It teaches Direct3D dealing with both 2D and then 3D, as well as DirectInput and DirectSound.
____________________________________Spazuh- Because I've had too much coffee
I don't know about Wendy's book, unless you can get around the constant errors people complained about on Amazon. Still, it's a good book for beginners. I'd also suggest Tricks of the Windows Game Programming Gurus, although it doesn't teach Direct3D 9 until volume 2, but overall it teaches a great amount of 2d & 3d theory that can be applied to any API later. In fact, I plan on going back to it :) It's a little deprecated regarding DirectDraw, but the theory gained from this book is more than enough to recommend it. Wendy's book just teaches Direct3D and doesn't throw any theory at you. I guess it just comes down to personal opinions on how you like to be taught. I prefer the mix :)
The book Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0 by Frank D Luna is arguably the best Direct3D book.
Yeah, it's quite good. Few things though, it empathesis on 3d programming so you won't be able to start a few 2d games first, and thus adding another dimension to your game may not be a good idea. I want to see Pong, etc. done first before DOOM 3! Also, there's a new edition coming out soon for this book which I would suggest waiting for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement