Sign in to follow this  
Chip Holder

Tablet advice requested

I need to buy a digitizing tablet. Does anybody know what would be the best brand to buy and where? I live in Cali, La Canada sorry about the help thing it's just that , that way, people answer faster. :) [Edited by - Run_The_Shadows on April 28, 2006 10:41:51 PM]

I personally have a Wacom tablet and it is very nice. It came with adobe photoshop elements 2.0, corel draw or something like that and various other graphics packages, so yeah it's great. Wacom would be the best way to go, mine was on sale at officeworks and i got it for $80. Best money ever spent.

I also have a Wacom tablet, intuos 3. It's 6x8, don't think that you need 9x12 because that seems like a good size, you will realize you only draw on a portion of the tablet anyway and 6x8 is plenty big. And they are very nice, I like it more than I like doing art on paper.

Don't know what your price range is but mine cost 288 dollars.

I was able to get a 4x5 Wacom Graphire packaged in with the full version of Painter 9 (and Photoshop Elements 3) for $300 from the publisher a couple of months ago. 6x8 is better, but I was very happy to get the tablet with the software I did, since the software is just as important.

Of course, I also have an older Wacom Intuous 12x12 that I got for around $150 total (also buying a Keyspan USB-Serial adapter) on eBay. It's actually a bit big, and the square shape is all but useless as I work on a widescreen laptop, but hey, for the price, it was a great deal.

I looked at other tablets, but I agree, Wacom is the only way to go. Pretty much any tablet will work for you. Some professinals swear by the latest models only, but I'm also a professional artist, and I've been happy with whatever Wacom I've had the opportunity to work with. 4x5 is a little small, and 12x12 is a bit unwieldy, but my best suggestion would be to decide on your budget and see what deals you can find.

Well, like I said, I got a brand new 4x5 with Painter 9. It was a sweet bundle deal that they have occasionally. Check their site for deals, and you might be lucky. Wacom might also have deals on them from time to time. Just shop online, and you'll likely find something.
http://apps.corel.com/painterix/home/index.html

What is everyone's opinion of using a Wacom tablet in place of purchasing a Tablet PC for occasions when you would write on documents/make notes/etc at home (and you don't need this functionality for on-the-go)? Is this feasible, or would you still recommend the Tablet PC for this?

I also have a Wacom Intuos 3 ( 6X8 inch ), and I cannot recommend it higher. A truly excellent piece of hardware. Regarding the tablet PC idea, I would generally avoid purchasing 'compact' machines like laptops if you can avoid it - they cannot be easily upgraded ( and certainly not by yourself ), they break often, and are frankly more expensive than desktops anway, matching specs.

Agreed. Unless you need the "business notation" or some such function of a tablet PC, you're almost always better off with a nice desktop for your Wacom. Not only is there the "better specs" argument, but it's also much harder to get the fine control you want with a tablet (which is why you got it in the first place, right?) in a mobile situation. You will really want to be stable to get the most out of a tablet, at least for art purposes. If you're just taking notes with it, the tablet PC is fine, and maybe even better.

I use my Wacom with my laptop, and while it's nice to have the laptop for the commute, I don't use the Wacom there. I'd be happier with a nice, mid-to-high end desktop for my tablet, but the laptop was the better purchase for the circumstances. (Two hours commuting each day; great tinkering time.)

Someday I'll get a nice desktop... ;D

Quote:
Original post by mnansgar
What is everyone's opinion of using a Wacom tablet in place of purchasing a Tablet PC for occasions when you would write on documents/make notes/etc at home (and you don't need this functionality for on-the-go)? Is this feasible, or would you still recommend the Tablet PC for this?

You won't have nearly enough space with a Wacom with you (even a 4x5). Those things are bigger than you expect: my Intuos3 6x11 displaced my keyboard from my pull-out holder, relegating it to sitting on top of the desk surface. Plus, digitizing tablets really aren't suited to handwriting and annotation applications; they're more tuned for pressure sensitivity and fine motor control.

On the other hand, don't see the value in tablet PCs. YMMV.

Quote:
Original post by Silverwings
Someday I'll get a nice desktop... ;D

I feel you. For now, it's a new laptop and a second monitor, though, because of the mobility premium on my life. In a few months, though, as things settle down (I have to do a lot of traveling through July), and provided my job isn't sending me out to the west coast all the time, I should invest in a good desktop (especially after the Intel PowerMacs are released).