Sign in to follow this  
exorcist_bob

Unity linker errors

Hello, community! I don't understand why the following won't work. I have a global namespace SkepWorks. Everything that is about my engine is in this namespace. In one of my modules, I have a namespace SkepWorks::Asm, which is where all my assembly routines are. But for some reason, I keep getting duplicate functions errors from a module that is only including this module. In other words:
//SWMAngle.cpp
#include "SWMMath.h"
#include "SWMAngle.h"

//SWMMath.h
#include "SWMAngle.h"

namespace SkepWorks
{
namespace Asm
{
//functions
}
}

I get twelve errors like this one: 1>SWMMath.obj : error LNK2005: "float __cdecl SkepWorks::Asm::asm_arccos(float)" (?asm_arccos@Asm@SkepWorks@@YAMM@Z) already defined in SWMAngle.obj I believe that there is a circular dependency going on here, but what is the easiest way to fix it. Thanks for any assistance, exorcist_bob

You probably have something like this:

// header.h
int foo;

// file1.cpp
#include "header.h"

// file2.cpp
#include "header.h"

Which results in the global variable foo being defined in two different translation units, which causes the linker to spit out an error that it is already defined in another object file when it encounters the second definition. The solution is to define foo in a source file, not a header file, and include an extern declaration like so:

// header.h
extern int foo;

// file1.cpp
#include "header.h"

int foo; // Only do this in one .cpp file

// file2.cpp
#include "header.h"

The extern statement says to the compiler "this variable exists, but I don't know where it is yet." References to it are resolved at link time, and the linker will only find in definition, in file1's object file.

Functions defined in header files suffer the same problem, which is (I'm guessing) an issue more specific to the OP's problem.

Given that the functions are defined in the headers and since they are written in assembly you are presumably attemping to be "fast," you can mark the function definitions as "inline." The general case solution is to move the definitions into a source file, but making them inline might be a better option in this specific case.

It looks like this in case you are not familiar with it:

inline float asm_arccos(float v)
{
/* whatever */
}

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Forum Statistics

• Total Topics
    • Total Posts
  • Similar Content

• By Pixelated_Nate
      Hi all!
      We are looking for a C# programmer for our 2D Action RPG titled Adavia, made in Unity.
      The game itself is akin to Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past, though we're also adding in traditional RPG elements such as Character Creation.
      This is more of a hobby than anything commercial, if it somehow does manage to go commercially, all revenue will be split equally among the team.
      If you're interested, we ask that you be comfortable with:
      Coding A.I's for enemies and NPCs. Working with GUI's. Communicating regularly with the team via Skype (text only). If you have any questions or would like to apply, please contact me at nathan.jenkins1012@gmail.com

• By ilovegames
      You are the commander of a special forces squadron. You were given a task that appeared simple at first glance - to check for suspicious activity in the building of an abandoned psychiatric hospital. But you could not even imagine what you will actually have to face.
      Download https://falcoware.com/HospitalSurvival.php

• By ilovegames
      You find yourself in an abandoned place full of mutants in the dead of night, and have to kill waves of monsters with a different kind of weapon. The main goal is to survive through the night.
      Controls:
      WASD – Walk
      Shift – Run
      Mouse1 - Attack
      Space - Jump
      Scroll Down – Change weapon
      Esc - Exit, pause
      Download https://falcoware.com/NightSurvival.php

• By ilovegames
      "Lost Signal" agency investigates paranormal events from all around the world. You are one of the agents who participates in the research of various artifacts. Investigate paranormal activities in this 3D game which has great action and elaborate 3D graphics.
      Interesting quests and creepy monsters await you!
      Download https://falcoware.com/TheLostSignalSCP.php

• By trjh2k2
      I've never really been a "Unity guy", since all of my game-dev learning happened in C++, and in other engines, but I recently discovered the "complete projects" section in the asset store.  It's full up on projects you can buy that are billed as "ready to customize and release", with full ad integration.  Some of them claim to be for educational purposes, but why would you include a complete, polished, full featured game with ads as an educational example?
      This leads me to the question of why this goes by unchallenged?  Does Unity and the environment of the Unity Store actively encourage this style of game development?  Is the problem of asset flipping our own fault?  I don't mean this as a "we should make Unity shut this down" kind of thread, but rather just to examine whether or not the environment of being able to just buy whole games or pieces of games is something that damages the industry.  I get why Unity would allow it, and I'm sure it's a working business model for some people- and maybe some people DO actually just use these to learn from, but I'm not that naive as to think that there aren't people who recognize this as one of the shortest paths to putting a game on the market so they can cash in.
      Thoughts?
  • Popular Now