This sucks...SDL

Started by
19 comments, last by JBourrie 17 years, 11 months ago
If your using DevC++ make sure you add the -lSDL in the project setup.
-)------ Ed
Advertisement
How about #include <sdl\sdl.h>
Mecha Engineer (Making Real Humanoid Suits)
Have you tried using this in an SDL project? Its one of the options when you make a new project in Dev C++(assuming that you installed SDL via a DevPak).
Try the following:

1) For the header, use: (reason: http://www.libsdl.org/faq.php?action=listentries&category=2#19 )
#include "SDL.h"

2) Make sure sure in dev-c++ when you make a new project, choose console.

3) Link with:
-lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -mwindows

4) Did you download the header and lib files for SDL? Make sure you place them in dev-c++'s include and lib directories, else you'll have to add include directories in options.

5) You can place the SDL.dll in the programs working directory, or c:/windows/system32 Even if you don't have the dll, I think it should compile, but give an error when you try to run it.

6) As mentioned, if you use a path either escape the slashes, or use foreward slashes.
background = load_image( "C:\Dev-CPP\lessson02\background.bmp" );//becomes:background = load_image( "C:\\Dev-CPP\\lessson02\\background.bmp" );//or: (Pretty sure I've used foreward slashes in windowsbackground = load_image( "C:/Dev-CPP/lessson02/background.bmp" );

If dev-c++ is installed correctly, and you link with the above, this code should compile. (I just tested it, basically a sdl-hi world)
#include <iostream>//#include <cstdlib> //if you need to pause#include "SDL.h"using namespace std;int screen_w = 800;int screen_h = 600;int screen_bpp = 32; //32 works -- 16?//push escape to quit.//compiling: linked with: -lmingw32 -lSDLmain -lSDL -mwindowsbool bDone = false;//proto'svoid game_loop(void);//surfacesSDL_Surface *screen;void game_loop(void) {    //render blank screen        //init before loop    SDL_Event event;    Uint8 *keys;    cout << "Starting render loop" << endl;    //loop    do {                //events        while(SDL_PollEvent(&event)) {            if(event.type == SDL_QUIT) {                //nice quit                bDone = true;            }            }                //input         keys = SDL_GetKeyState(0);        if(keys[SDLK_ESCAPE] == SDL_PRESSED) {            bDone = true;        }                //render        SDL_FillRect(screen, NULL, SDL_MapRGB(screen->format,0,128,128));         SDL_UpdateRect(screen,0,0,0,0);    }while(!bDone);        cout << "Exited render loop" << endl;}int main(int argc, char *argv[]) {    //init before loop    //init SDL    if(SDL_Init(SDL_INIT_VIDEO) < 0) {        cerr << "Could not initialize SDL: " << SDL_GetError() << endl;        SDL_Quit();        return -1;    }        //set video mode    screen = SDL_SetVideoMode(screen_w, screen_h, screen_bpp, SDL_SWSURFACE);    if(screen == NULL) {        cerr << "Failed setting mode: " << screen_w << "x" << screen_h << "x"             << screen_bpp << endl << SDL_GetError() << endl;        SDL_Quit();        return -1;    }        game_loop();        //end SDL        //free surfaces, but not screen        cout << "Quitting SDL..." << endl;    SDL_Quit();    cout << "Done." << endl;    return 0;}
If that still doesn't work, post all errors.
hey,
sorry your having such a difficult time with this.
i know it was a pain to get SDL up and running on my Dev C++ when i first started. I got this error a lot and it was always due to libraries.

i would check the order in which you have linked your libraries.
i read once that you need to have libSDLmain.lib first, foremost, and before all the others. if i wasnt at work, id check myself to see if this is valid, but unfortunatly all i can do is blindly poke at the problem.

good luck!
The proper way to include is <SDL/SDL.h> not "SDL.h" or anything else. Just wanted to clear this one.
Quote:Original post by Feidias
The proper way to include is <SDL/SDL.h> not "SDL.h" or anything else. Just wanted to clear this one.

So do I [smile]

The correct way, according to the SDL webpage, is actaully "SDL.h".

Then, (for dev-cpp), go into tools->compiler options->directories->c (and c++) includes and add your SDL include directory to it, so on mine in both c and c++ includes it reads "C:\path\to\Dev-Cpp\include\SDL"

Incorrect. just wanted to make it clear :)

No, it's <#SDL.//h-#>

Seriously, it completely depends on what your include directories are set as. That's why everyone's is different... there is no "correct" way.

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

Your include directory should be set to "include" directory of the compiler. Then when you write for example include <stdio.h> it's found from the include directory. Using "myheader.h" suggests that the file is located in the project directory, where your source files are.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement