Designing game worlds...

Started by
21 comments, last by kidd175 17 years, 11 months ago
How do I go about this? I've been thinking about this and people have mentioned that I need to get one done soon. It's in my Design Document as a step I need to complete but I'm lost as to how I am supposed to create one myself. What is the 'World Layout' and how do I go about writing it so that it makes sense? Where do I even begin? If I can just get a kick start, I know I can knock it out and get everything else that deals with it out. If anyone/thing can give me some pointers on how to do this, thanks. If not, thanks. If I forgot to mention anything or you need more information on what I'm talking about, just say it and I'll try to get back to you ASAP.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by kidd175
How do I go about this? I've been thinking about this and people have mentioned that I need to get one done soon. It's in my Design Document as a step I need to complete but I'm lost as to how I am supposed to create one myself. What is the 'World Layout' and how do I go about writing it so that it makes sense? Where do I even begin? If I can just get a kick start, I know I can knock it out and get everything else that deals with it out.

If anyone/thing can give me some pointers on how to do this, thanks. If not, thanks. If I forgot to mention anything or you need more information on what I'm talking about, just say it and I'll try to get back to you ASAP.

Link to the spec where this 'Design Document' is defined and which mentions 'World Layout' ???????

Are there other designs published that you could use as an example ????

My design document is here: Design Document

It's towards the middle-bottom. I haven't come across any other exmaples either on Google or here.
hi,

the best way to go about designing your game world is to draw it, as if its a map. you can achieve this (depending on the worlds size) on on A4 paper, then once completed you think of all the details that you would like to go in places in your world, rivers, caves, mines (depending on the game)

After this stage you should start to do overview plans of settlements, or inportant features. The if possible get a concept artist or yourself to draw these features out in an artistic form.

Its a big task to complete mind you. Ive done this, designed the world, features and one city overview, this took me 2 weeks to get it how i wanted it.

Glad to help
Thanks a ton for the replies and help. A4 is graph paper so I would need to come up with some sort of scale that would make the world large but not overwhelming. I see... I think I understand what this is now. Then I go into the DD and detail out everything? What would I include in there that isn't in the objects appendix? How the buildings are constructed/destructible? What about how the PC interact with the world? I think I'm getting the hang of this but I would like a bit more clarification.

well in the DD i would display the images you draw and explain features, things that cant be seen, etc.
I can recommend you this book, it appealed to me very much:

Designing Virtual Worlds

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0131018167/102-0133552-3712933?v=glance&n=283155
The game world is supposed to support the story, particularly its theme. Do you know what your theme is yet?

My book-in-progress with a step-by-step to designing a game's concept and story.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

The theme is Half-Life-ish. That's the best way I can think of it... I've written out some of the worlds and descriptions about them. I've talked to some of the team members to get input and anything else they would like to see in the game. I have the A4 paper and I have begun drawing the maps. I'll try to upload them for you all to see sometime in the next few weeks...
Erm, I meant theme as in, "What's the moral of the story? What's your 'message'? What's the point?"

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement