Designing game worlds...

Started by
21 comments, last by kidd175 17 years, 11 months ago
The game has no moral, message...point. Does any FPS related game have a moral? If I had to give one...it would be..."Don't count him out until the end." Or something along those lines...I don't see a "theme/moral/message" helping me with designing the worlds that much, to be perfectly honest...

Got anything else that would help? :/
Advertisement
Certainly there are FPS games with morals. [rolleyes] You mention Half-Life - the whole reason for Half-Life's popularity is its immersive storyline. They didn't make the protagonist an average joe, portray the military as willing to murder civillians to keep secrets, and give the all-powerful combine the bodies of fat borg-like slugs for nothing; the whole game has a theme of how the little guys work (genes, technology) gets stolen by big greedy lazy organizations until the average joe figures out what's going on and heroically fights back. An obvious anti-corporate, and to some extent anti-pursuit-of-technological-progress moral.

So no, if your game has no moral I can't help you. A story with no moral isn't a story, and worldbuilding without a story is totally arbitrary and pointless.

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

whats its theme, as in time period, future, past, present. what do YOU want the world to be like?
and possibly: what is happening right now, and how did it come to be possible for it to happen? Where does this lead to? Sometimes (and here, i'm preaching for my own approach) using a CHRONOLIGICAL, or even to some extent a LOGICAL evolutionary approach to story building will just help and make it easier to follow for you.

Remember: the most relevant question to ask in your context is "Why?" Next in line comes "So what?"
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
TBPH...Never played HL..:p (Is that wrong?) Ok...Now that you clarified by what you mean by "moral" and some other things that pertain to how the story is going to develop, I have a better answer...I don't know. :P...Read below...

Sunandshadow- I don't plan on having this game that deep. I can't think of something that deals with the 3rd invasion of Earth that would immerse the player deeply into the game. I have another game in mind that I'm sure I can write out that could possibly handle something along those lines. I gave a one line moral in my latest reply but I don't know if you missed it..."Don't count him out until the end." I think I can build something around that...I'd have to change the plot around a bit but...it can be done. I have a story, I'm just having trouble putting it on "virtual paper" and that is stifling the creative process I guess...I might just write it out on paper and then tranfer it over...I feel more comfortable doing it that way.

Imagin-The time period is distant future, around 2483. I want the world, in some places, to look destroyed but still technologically advanced. Picture "Final Fantasy: Spirits Within" (the city that looked golden) and "Half-Life" (the first 'level')...mix their two worlds...something around those lines. I want the world to be dynamic. Your choice of tactics might affect your progression. The jungle levels should look like the Brazilian rainforests. Shangri-La should look mystic and peaceful, though destroyed by war. I have images in my eyes but I can't get them out onto paper...

Fournicolas - Nothing really is happening right now that will trigger the ensuing invasions. The closest thing would be the Mars probes and the Saturn/Jupiter (can't remember which one we're looking at) missions, but other than that...fate happens to us. Then after the first invasion in 2048, we move some people to the moon but nothing major. That doesn't affect anything. The second invasion is a hundred or so years later.

*****NOTE*****The things I am telling here are only in the game for references. There will be nothing about the last two invasions that will play out into this one. They could however, depending on demand and success, be expansions.*****/NOTE*****

The time is 2463 AD. The human population is thriving at only 80% of what it was at the beginning of the new millinium. In the year 2047 AD, an alien invasion nearly wiped out all of what mankind had accomplished. By using advancements in radiowaves and laser technology, they managed to overcome near extinction and prevailed over the invading threat. In 2183 AD, another alien race tried to invade, this time for the "resources" we had. Humans were at about 50% of what it was before the first invasion. Once again, scientific advancements helped the humans win this invasion also, thanks to cloning. After the war was won, all of the clones were destroyed and mankind once again began to repopulate and create. Today, humans are at 80%. The technology we had used for the previous wars were long abandoned. We have developed better and more efficient technology. The Elite society live among the clouds while the Poor society live on the ground still.....

Just a _very_ _very_ sketchy detail of the game. I think I abandoned this thought a long time ago...not sure...
sounds good, need any team members, i can model and draw concept art.

contact me at tyjotr@aol.com
Thanks for the offer. I sent you an email. Anyone have any more advise for me to follow? I appreciate all of the help given so far.
I enjoy FPs all the more when there is a simili-story explaining the changes of backgrounds for the chain-killing, and a reason for my missions other than "there is a bunch of things to kill over there. Go." Sometimes, it can be as simple as "You arrived too late at your previous extraction point. Now, you have to run to make it to next point, before your unit considers you definitely lost. Better not let those pesky aliens delay you any further." Or maybe have a chain of events, explaining what you're doing, a little like the House of the Dead series, or even in some way, the Time Crisis series. Even Far Cry managed to give a feel of story unfolding. I'm sure you can do that too...
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
Fournicolas- Ok. I was reading something different from your post. There are some things in the storyline that has this...effect in it but it is not that detailed out. And, this is definately not one of the "GO! Shoot them and then go through 3434543 levels and shoot their friends!" There are some instances where that will happen but it is far in between. It's kind of like Killzone in the way the enemy is spread out but they (hopefully) will be a lot smarter than that. **Back on Topic** Here is a sample of a story that will be in the Shangri-La level...

**Strata and Fier, after dealing with the Lyracs in Concodia, here a call coming in on a dead soldiers unit. "Hello! May Day! Is anyone here alive? We have a level 6 invasion in Saia! We need reinforcements now! We can't hold for much longer!" *Sound of lasers and gunfire. Screams.* **

Saia is the home for some of the most influential minds of the world. They helped and the people like them who came before, helped rebuild the Earth after every war and managed to create laws that have kept the world in harmony for so many years. If they are not extracted, then the world will not be the same if we win...

Or something along those lines. So, yeah there will be simili-story there. Just not in abundance but it does help. The way you save certain areas affect the way the world is rebuilt afterwards.
I registered on the team forum thing but i got no confirmation email, could you re send it or something

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement