Whats the rules on code reuse? (from books and such)

Started by
14 comments, last by alamed 17 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I was wondering about re-using the codes in books and tutorials. If I'm not copy-pasting the code, can I call it mine? For instance, I'm following the "Killer Game programming for Java" book. The author gave the permission to use the code if I mention the book and his name, but I'm only following the framework/the classes skeleton (as in how things are done). can I still call it my code? I don’t want to be called a copier or steal his work. In short: when the code becomes yours and not a copy? Thank you
Advertisement
If he wrote it, he owns it, end of story (at least in the US). If you really don't want to mention his name, you should apply the concepts from the book and write your own framework (which would give you more programming experience anyway).
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
I would have to say once you've thought about the program logic yourself. This might just be me, but if I programmed the same program as someone else, with maybe a few slight differences, I would want to call it my code since I did think about it all myself, someone just happend to make the same thing. Unfortunately, that would only mean(to you) that it's your code, depending on who released the program first.
Hello?
Once you make significate modifications to the code it is yours. What is significate modifications, well if you just add a little formatting and a minor error check then that does not do it.

I would suggest instead of following thier code line for line you learn what they are doing and then write your own code. This avoids the problem and in the end you learn a lot more.

theTroll
As a general rule of thumb, ideas can not be patented. So if his code demonstrates a very common way of solving a problem, or a very common algorithm, then there will be limited ways to rewrite it without following its structure closely. But don't fret - in those instances, you're protected under some law of "public knowledge". Failing that, apply his concepts to your own code.
[ search: google ][ programming: msdn | boost | opengl ][ languages: nihongo ]
If authors dont want there code to be copied, don't publish it.
-----------------------------Language: C++API: Win32, DirectXCompiler: VC++ 2003
You could generalize that to "if an author doesn't want his writing copied, he shouldn't publish it" and "if a game developer doesn't want his title pirated, he shouldn't publish it." Just because information is publically available doesn't mean that it is yours to take and call your own. The author owns the copyright/IP/whatever for his work. You do not; its your responsibility to *not* steal it.
If the author has given you permission to use the code if you mention his name... why do you feel constrained? How does it hurt you to mention his name?

Two words: Intellectual honesty.
Quote:Original post by alamed
The author gave the permission to use the code if I mention the book and his name, but I'm only following the framework/the classes skeleton (as in how things are done). can I still call it my code? I don’t want to be called a copier or steal his work.

Usually an author's code would also include any derivative works. So even if you only use a small portion of his framework to base your code off of, you're still using his code and should mention his name and book.
Quote:Original post by jpetrie
The author owns the copyright/IP/whatever for his work. You do not; its your responsibility to *not* steal it.

I am on about using, not stealing.
-----------------------------Language: C++API: Win32, DirectXCompiler: VC++ 2003

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement