NeHe Lesson01 VB6 problem

Started by
6 comments, last by datsnl 17 years, 10 months ago
I am relatively new to OpenGL Programming and I downloaded NeHe Pdf for OpenGL programming. I downloaded the source Code for VB6 that was given at the end of the tutorial from the website. The program runs well and exits well too. The problem is that when the program has stopped, when I open my Task Manager VB6.exe is using 50% of the CPU usage and i dont know why? When I try to exit VB6, it gives following error: The instruction at “0x6961f5c8” referenced memory at “0x000000c8”. The memory count not be “read”. Click on OK to terminate the program I thought that this might be a bug in the first lesson so I downloaded the second lesson and run it, but the same problem. I downloaded one more code from another site and run it, but the same problem and once when you exit VB6.exe, the same error message. I dont know whether I am doing something wrong or there is some problem with my Laptop. Any help would be a big step in the beginning life of a new Programmer. Cheers.
Advertisement
This is likely a system problem so you need to tell us you OS, video card, driver version, processor. Do you have dual core or single core. HT or not?
Open Task manager and see if you have 2 CPUs and one is 100% and the other 0%

It's also better to use a C++ or java package for other reasons that may or may not avoid many VB6 weirdnesses
Sig: http://glhlib.sourceforge.net
an open source GLU replacement library. Much more modern than GLU.
float matrix[16], inverse_matrix[16];
glhLoadIdentityf2(matrix);
glhTranslatef2(matrix, 0.0, 0.0, 5.0);
glhRotateAboutXf2(matrix, angleInRadians);
glhScalef2(matrix, 1.0, 1.0, -1.0);
glhQuickInvertMatrixf2(matrix, inverse_matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation1, 1, FALSE, matrix);
glUniformMatrix4fv(uniformLocation2, 1, FALSE, inverse_matrix);
I am using Intel Centrino Dual Core Processor 1.66 GHz.

I have a 1GB ram, 256MB video Card NVidia GeForce Go 7300.

I am using Windows XP Pro and I bought the laptop 1 month back so I think that its SP2.

I did some basic programming in C and C++ but was very comfortable with VB6. I read a lot of stuff about 3D Programming in C and C++ but wanted to try if it could be done with VB. I dont want to go back to C and C++ programming. But if I dont have a choice, Well I will go back.

Cheers
There is something more to this problem.

While I am using the exe generated by the code, the problem doesn't occur after I close the application. The problem only occurs when I am testing it by pressing "F5" key or I am pressing "Run".

Any help please.

I really want to program using VB6 and there are several reasons. I have several engineering programs that are custom built in VB and I want to add graphics to them using OpenGL.

All help is appreciated.

Cheers
While I personally try to avoid getting anywhere near VB, I do have one comment to make: VB6 is incredibly old and outdated. It's probably just as buggy as VC++6, which everyone seems to still use too.

Do yourself a favor and download the Visual Basic 2005 Express Edition for free. Yes, completely free -- no money needed.

I'm betting that a version upgrade will fix your problem.
thanks bpoint,

vb.net is really good and it is free to download.

i was pretty satisfied with the results, but the problem is the same with vb.net.

Now can someone tell me why is this all happening.

cheers

i am verymuch eager to use vb.net for opengl but it should work.
Is the problem affecting all of your VB apps or just GL VB apps?
It is affecting the applications that run OpenGL for VB6 and csGL for VB.net (2005 express edition, free from microsoft site)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement