X8R8G8B8

Started by
5 comments, last by jollyjeffers 17 years, 11 months ago
what is x? is it alpha ?
Advertisement
Yes, it is.

EDIT: Disregard above, the X is unused, there are other macros where A is alpha though.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Quote:Original post by programwizard
Yes, it is.
NO it isn't! [smile]

The similar A8R8G8B8 format contains alpha. The "X" variants (including X1R5G5B5) are just unused bits. Allows for "padding" out to a more hardware-friendly size (e.g. 32bits instead of 24 and 16 instead of 15...)

I don't think you can guarantee anything about what will (or wont) be in the 'X' component, nor will it stay there (e.g. I don't think you can use it to store private app-specific data)..

hth
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Quote:Original post by jollyjeffers
Yes, it is.
NO it isn't! [smile]

So very close to getting the edit in [smile]
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
So very close to getting the edit in [smile]
*tuts* *rolls-eyes* Haven't people learnt they can't beat me? I live in these forums [lol]

Jack

Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Someone beat you for the DirectX April SDK announcement though, didn't they? [lol]
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Someone beat you for the DirectX April SDK announcement though, didn't they? [lol]
Yes..yes... but I still maintain that David cheated [razz]

Jack

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement