Sign in to follow this  

Need help with the lame msvcr80.dll problem [solved]

This topic is 4250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

If I open a visual studio 6 dsw and conver to a sln for visual studio 2005, it compiles fine. If I copy the code and try to copile it seperatly, it creates a manifest file and asks for a dll to be installed. So I turn off the manafest generation but it still asks for a dll. How do I disable this dll crap so I dont need to distribute it with my application? [Edited by - ViperG on April 29, 2006 5:17:23 PM]

Never mind I found the problem

I was compiling with md and I want to compile with mt.

Mt means staticly linking to dlls insteady of dynamically linking to them (which means you need them as well.)

No.

/MT means to dynamically link against the release-mode multithreaded DLL's, which have already been installed on your test system
/MD means to dynamically link against the debug-mode multithreaded DLL's, which haven't been installed on your test system (since you generally don't distribute debug versions, just release versions)

EDIT: [imwithstupid]

There is no such think as statically linking against a DLL (Dynamic Link Library).

[Edited by - joanusdmentia on April 30, 2006 12:34:12 AM]

Actually, /MT means to link with the multi-threaded static lib runtime and /MD means to link with the multi-threaded dll runtime. The debug variations are /MTd and /MDd respectively.

This topic is 4250 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.