question 1 of 356,000

Started by
12 comments, last by Zahlman 17 years, 11 months ago
Advertisement
You guys need to focus more on giving answers to peoples questions, regardless of personal opinion on the subject. That's ll I've ever known from the folks at GameDev. I don't believe a username is required for a perfectly valid answer, and sadly you don't study regardless of possible "off the shelf" solutions.
Btw, you just rate people down when they give a valid answer, so why bother at all? :)

jflanglois, I have a few problems with that solution. 1) Your user won't get to press a key at the end. The program exits for you. You can test this yourself by going into your release folder and execute your program. Thus, the user has an abrupt exit. A better solution for pausing is needed. My solution works. 2) The user's program may need to be put on pause throughout the application. My solution works. 3) You shouldn't test the user's experience by running your exe in the IDE, regardless if you run without debugging.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
You guys need to focus more on giving answers to peoples questions, regardless of personal opinion on the subject.

I at least like to focus on answering *problems*. A person who already knew exactly what to ask would be able to find the solution for him/herself via Google; when a beginner posts on a forum, it's because at least some amount of confusion factors in to the situation. It's entirely likely that the beginner has the wrong approach or expectations.

Artificially pausing a program at the end via system("pause") is a bad *idea* for a few reasons: it interferes with batch runs; the support has to be compiled in (when you could instead use a batch file to call your program, and then the pause program); it relies on the program being there (and being named what you expect, and doing what you expect it to...); it may interact oddly from a user interface perspective with the existing menu system (e.g. if there's already a "quit" option). Many of these problems exist independant of how you implement the pause within your program. And all of this is just to work around the fact that you're not "running the app properly" in the first place. A console app is designed to be launched from within an existing console window. Your IDE, if you use one, ought to do that for you already, or at least (provide an option to) put in the pause call itself.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement