Sign in to follow this  
Jonas B

[.net] CLR Profiling consulting

(Might be the wrong forum, but this is so small and .NET-specific...) So far my work with C# has been focused on functionality, not memory efficiency or performance, and I'm almost totally ignorant on the subject. I've played a bit with PIX and CLRProfiler, read a little bit on the GC and so on, but I don't know how to really take advantage of them. Now I have this program that really needs to perform better, and the fastest way to learn would be by getting help from someone who's really good at profiling. I was thinking ~100$/hr (through PayPal, don't know how that works with IRS though), communication through ICQ or Messenger. First step: no DirectX, just Bitmaps and regular .NET stuff, a few hours introduction. It's for a painting application built with http://www.openblackbox.net Anyone interested or know good profilers? Thanks.

I'd recommend a combination of CLR Profiler and ANTS Profiler.

I'd suggest you read through Rico Mariani's blog, Rick Brewster's blog, and blogs that they link.

Going through Paint .NET's code would probably be a good idea since you mention bitmap perf.

I'd also suggest reading Know what things cost and Improving .NET app perf and scalability (though it's really targetted more towards enteerprise-type apps.

I'd also suggest looking around to find a decent introduction to CLR Profiler somewhere, because most people don't seem to get their heads around the funky UI to use it effectively.

Thanks, I've browsed through the resources but I feel it's too large a subject for me currently. I might look around at Red Gate (ANTS profiler) forums for experts.

Guest Anonymous Poster
You should also try SpeedTrace Pro.It is also a good profiling tool.
here is the link http://speedtrace.ipcas.com.