[web] My Website Mock-up (big img included)

Started by
30 comments, last by Wan 17 years, 11 months ago
<>

[Edited by - Konfusius on May 1, 2006 1:00:47 PM]
Advertisement
IMHO, a personal reference site will most likely NOT attract others to stop by again. Probably your friends will. but that's about it. ( actually if you have excellent original content, that's a different story, or if you're a celebrity in your local area too )
You should make the theme of your website much more clearer. get rid of anime etc... if you want to attract more people that is... again that's just my opinion.
Personal websites are as the name implies, personal. your friends will visit there, and you can post your resume's and etc. If you put a couple random things here and there such as anime, it just looks unprofessional. ( I don't have anything again anime, im from an asian culture and grew up with anime )
Quote:Original post by Tradone
IMHO, a personal reference site will most likely NOT attract others to stop by again. Probably your friends will. but that's about it.

Point taken. I will probably take that personal stuff out when the site goes live.
In my opinion, the menu is very confusing. I had to look a few seconds at it to make out where to click. It's also confusing that you have the main menu (top-right I think) seperated from the subsections (the horizontal bar?).

You should definitely consider implementing a tree-view like menu, where you'd only have your main items and then reveal the subsections by clicking on the items. This would probaly make things way clearer because you'd only have the left bar for the menu, the right bar for your search and personal/login stuff, top for your logo and the middle for the site content.

I would usually implement this tree-view menu by using java-script, but I think you can do this pretty easy with Web 2.0, don't you?
Quote:Original post by ZMaster
In my opinion, the menu is very confusing. I had to look a few seconds at it to make out where to click. It's also confusing that you have the main menu (top-right I think) seperated from the subsections (the horizontal bar?).

Good tip! You're right, I will rearrange that.

Quote:
You should definitely consider implementing a tree-view like menu, where you'd only have your main items and then reveal the subsections by clicking on the items.

I find deep tree-view menus very cumbersome to use. The idea I have is to get to all important sections of the site with the navigation methods on the top (main menu->1st menu line->2nd menu line) and have the left menu display ALL the links in that section. No tree-view required (less clicking and more screen area used).
Maybe I'll make a 2-level tree-menu.

Quote:This would probaly make things way clearer because you'd only have the left bar for the menu, the right bar for your search and personal/login stuff, top for your logo and the middle for the site content.

Yeah, but I don't like the entire header area go unused.

Quote:I would usually implement this tree-view menu by using java-script, but I think you can do this pretty easy with Web 2.0, don't you?

CSS all the way, no JS required. Web 2.0 is AFAICT a buzzword for AJAX/JSON/AHAH stuff, which already implies &#106avascript.<br><br>Thanks for your valuable input.
Still sux. [crying]

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Apart from the huge amount of menus, I think the borders around erm.. everything, don't do the layout any good.
I made you a little 5 minute sample to show you what I mean: link
IMO, this makes the overall look at lot cleaner. I have cheated a little by removing some of the links. ;)
Thanks! I made another version incorporating some of your suggestions (the colors are of course temporary):

<>

I think the layout looks way less cluttered than the first version.

[Edited by - Konfusius on May 1, 2006 1:42:02 PM]
Next stop:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
I think you use way too many colors. It gives a very unordered feel.

I think that one main color is enough, or maybe two, but 10 is definitly too much.

You seem too fond of boxes. Instead of explicitly draw rectangles where the different logical units ends, try to align text masses to form lines.

If you manage to create lines in your design, without drawing them, the site will have a much more structured feel.

The latest version is 10 times better than the first one though. [smile]
[s]--------------------------------------------------------[/s]chromecode.com - software with source code

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement