Sign in to follow this  
Toolmaker

Java IDE, and running applets outside browser?

I have a weird problem with applets: I can't seem to be able to run the applet OUTSIDE a browser. When I use the Sun AppletViewer, it just starts up, and exits immediatly, without warning. This is my(random test code):
import javax.swing.JApplet;
import java.awt.*;
import java.awt.Graphics;

public class DragonWars extends JApplet 
{
	public void init()
	{
		this.setSize(new Dimension(640, 480));
	}

public void paint(Graphics g) 
    {
	    Color c = Color.magenta;

g.setColor(c);
		g.fillRect(0, 0, getSize().width - 1, getSize().height - 1);
    }
}

Also, at the moment I'm using Crimson Editor for editing the files, but I'm missing auto completion a la Visual Studio, but I sure as hell DON'T wanna use Eclipse, since I hate it. What other (lightweight)IDEs are out there, that can both use auto completion AND be able to handle a debugger? Toolmaker

"I hate it" is not a good reason - NetBeans and IntelliJ IDEA are the other two top IDEs for Java, however I find them similar to Eclipse (that's why you should have told us WHY you don't like Eclipse).

I dislike the entire behaviour of Eclipse: It's constantly auto-rebuilding, there is no simple way to recompile it(Last time I used it, it was a pain).

Project files are missing, and you have to work through some obscure way to load/unload projects, deleting a file in your projectview actually deletes it on disk, without notice.

I'm used to Visual Studio, and I prefer an IDE to somewhat behaves like that. I don't mind the auto-rebuilding, I jsut want a nice "BUILD" button where I can see it.

Toolmaker

Quote:
Original post by Toolmaker
I dislike the entire behaviour of Eclipse: It's constantly auto-rebuilding

to disable autobuild: uncheck "Project / Build Automatically"
to build: "Project / Build Project"

I like using BlueJ for my Java stuff. It's free, has an "acceptable" debugger and also has a handy visual display of the classes and their "connections" to each other (i.e. extends, implements, interface, etc.) via boxes and connection lines, but alas there is no auto-complete feature. Still, I think it's worth checking out.

Edit: ack, had wrong link to BlueJ; it's .org, not .com

Quote:
Original post by Toolmaker
I dislike the entire behaviour of Eclipse: It's constantly auto-rebuilding,

You can turn this off for an entire workspace in the preference dialog, or on a per project basis in the project properties dialog or the Project menu.

Quote:
there is no simple way to recompile it(Last time I used it, it was a pain).

On the menu, Project->Clean

Quote:
Project files are missing

I've never had this problem.

Quote:
and you have to work through some obscure way to load/unload projects

What's obscure? You can open/close projects in the Workspace via the Project menu, close them by right-clicking project name in the package explorer. You can also create Eclipse projects from existing source files via File->New.

Quote:
deleting a file in your projectview actually deletes it on disk, without notice.

It asks you if you are "sure you want to delete" the file. The behavior is that it always deletes it from disk, but it only does it when you explictly delete the file. How is that a problem? If you want to use the file outside of Eclipse but also remove it from the project, just File->Save As... first before deleting.

Quote:
I'm used to Visual Studio, and I prefer an IDE to somewhat behaves like that. I don't mind the auto-rebuilding, I jsut want a nice "BUILD" button where I can see it.

I'm not trying to convince you to use Eclipse. I'm just making a point. Most of the full featered Java IDEs like Eclipse, NetBeans, and IntellJ IDea are highly configurable and can be customized to your liking. But all of the features and configuration options come at a price - you have to learn how to use them. It took me a while to learn many of the nooks and crannies of Eclipse and there's still stuff I don't know, such as keyboard shortcuts (I never use them).

So whichever IDE you settle on, spend some time to get to know it. Check out all of the menu items. Read the docs. Browse the support forums. Ultimately you'll be glad you did because it will help you to become a more productive programmer.

Quote:
Original post by scgrn
I like JCreator, it's fast and lightweight.

I just acquired the LE edition of JCreator, and I must say, that's exactly what I wanted.

1 minor question: Does it contain a GUI builder? I need to whip up a bunch of GUIs, and having a GUI builder for that is fat better than doing it from code.

If not, what other solutions are there out there? Either as plugin or standalone app... (Using AWT)

Toolmaker

[Edited by - Toolmaker on May 1, 2006 5:17:44 AM]