Sign in to follow this  
The Thing

SDL - need a little help / info:

Hello everybody, I've downloaded and set up SDL on my machine for use with VC++ Express and it does work, however I've just tried compiling some source code from Lazy Foo's site and there is an #include statement - #include "SDL/SDL.h" which is throwing up the following error - Cannot open include file: 'SDL/SDL.h': No such file or directory. I do have a header file called SDL.h located at C:\SDL_1.2.9\include Is the / in the include statement indicating a path to the header file or is it the name of another header file? If I edit the code to read #include "SDL.h" it works OK. Is editing the code OK or should I download from somwhere a file called SDL/SDL.h How do I go about rectifying the follwing error? ------ Build started: Project: SDL_Test, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------ Compiling... SDL_Test_A.cpp Linking... MSVCRTD.lib(cinitexe.obj) : warning LNK4098: defaultlib 'msvcrt.lib' conflicts with use of other libs; use /NODEFAULTLIB:library

Re: Linker error:
How to link with the correct C Run-Time (CRT) library

Perhaps try changing the library you're linking to in: Project > Properties > C/C++ > Code Generation > Runtime Library.

Re: SDL header include cleanup:
It is ok to alter the code so that the includes work with the names you would like to use. I have never put the SDL .h files in an SDL folder. I usually just add my SDL install folder's include and lib folders into the MSVC++ Tools > Options > Projects > VC++ Directories > Include Files / Library Files settings.

Then, like you suggest, simply #include <SDL_opengl.h>, or what have you.

I got the same error, and I just changed Project > Properties > Linker > Input > Ignore Specific Library to msvcrt.lib, and it worked.

Quote:
Original post by The Thing
I've just tried compiling some source code from Lazy Foo's site and there is an #include statement - #include "SDL/SDL.h" which is throwing up the following error - Cannot open include file: 'SDL/SDL.h': No such file or directory. I do have a header file called SDL.h located at C:\SDL_1.2.9\include
Is the / in the include statement indicating a path to the header file or is it the name of another header file? If I edit the code to read #include "SDL.h" it works OK. Is editing the code OK or should I download from somwhere a file called SDL/SDL.h

It was good to remove the SDL/ from the #include line because now the compiler can see your SDL.h file. The tutorial project might have had this kind of file structure and it then would have been necessary for the "SDL/SDL.h" include.

[code]

(Project Location)
|
+-SDL| |
| +- SDL.h
. +- SDL.lib
. +- SDLmain.lib
. |

Yes the / is for specifying a path much like the \ is used but you need to do this "SDL\\SDL.h" because \\ is the escape sequence for a \.