4E5

Started by
148 comments, last by Avatar God 17 years, 10 months ago
Really looking forwards to this, its nice to have some motivation to get a project finished
Advertisement
Oh, crap I only just recovered from last time!

I know existing code/engine use is encouraged, but could I use the game engine I developed for 4e4 with different assets, story and so on?
Oh dear god we couldn't have waited a year?!

Quote:I know existing code/engine use is encouraged, but could I use the game engine I developed for 4e4 with different assets, story and so on?
Yeah, good question. I don't know of anyone who might have done that before...
Quote:APC's extra testicle?
Sure it does! Starring in all of our games! [grin]
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Assuming the topic fits, I'd want to work on an RTS anyway - and it would be similar to the rea' game industry where you use your sci-fi RTS engine to make a fantasy RTS etc.
I just want to make sure I won't be even unofficially marked down even if all I did was replace all the assets... in actuality I want to carry on with the game, which I am anyway, but the contest would give me more motivation.

Superpig - can you comment?
The details will be finalized when I set the rules, but you will most likely be allowed to reuse old tech. The Elements for the next contest ought to be different enough that you won't be able to get away with resubmitting your previous game with a few tweaks, which is my main worry.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I think I'll be entering another RTS as well. I won't use the same code as before, it was too unclean and inflexible. I'm going to do the engine PROPERLY this time, if that's even possible... [grin]

Let's hope we don't have another wave of RTS's that we sort of did last year. That was sort of discouraging.[smile]

Quote:Original post by superpig
The details will be finalized when I set the rules, but you will most likely be allowed to reuse old tech. The Elements for the next contest ought to be different enough that you won't be able to get away with resubmitting your previous game with a few tweaks, which is my main worry.

Noooooo! A full year of underground work ruined!

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

Quote:Original post by Oberon_Command
I think I'll be entering another RTS as well. I won't use the same code as before, it was too unclean and inflexible. I'm going to do the engine PROPERLY this time, if that's even possible... [grin]

Let's hope we don't have another wave of RTS's that we sort of did last year. That was sort of discouraging.[smile]
It was hardly anymore of a wave than the 'wave' of FPS games. RTS andFPS are two really big genres so it's hardly suprising.

Superpig: If for example the elements were 'orcs, goblins, elves and dragons' (I hope they are not) then many decent engines could have assets replaced to give just as good an RTS/FPS game as last time. In the real world this is exactly what game developers do so should we really be discouraged from this? How's it different from me getting a free game engine and making a game from that?

You're saying the fact that developers release 'clones' of games is a good thing?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Hehe yeah, I'm with Superpig on that.
I just hope you can come up with a theme that doesn't map directly to last year's.
If it's something like, say, orcs, elves, dwarves, dragons, it's almost too easy to port last year's idea.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement