Please answer my questionnaire

Started by
17 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 11 months ago
It's for my degree project. Im developing a 3D Engine in Python, and I need a few programmers to answer these for my fact finding phase. Brief answers should be enough, thanks in advance : Section A (For everyone) : 1. Have you ever heard of Python programming language? If yes, do you like it? 2. Do you think it is possible/feasible to develop a 3D engine alone within 6 months? 3. What do you think of game development hobbyists? 4. Do you recommend developing a 3D engine for your own? Section B (For those with 3D programming experience) 1. What is your programming language of choice for 3D programming? 2. What is your API of choice for 3D programming? 3. Have you created an open world environment to move around? 4. how did you learn about 3D programming? 5. Do you enjoy 3D programming? 6. Please list out any 3D Engine (that is not developed by your own) you used before. Section C (For those without 3D programming experience) 1. Are you interested in learning 3D programming? 2. Are you interested in learning Python programming language? [Edited by - Valkyrie4896 on May 1, 2006 5:20:45 PM]
Advertisement
Section A:
1. Have you ever heard of Python programming language? If yes, do you like it?
> Yep i've heard of it but i'm sorry to say I haven't yet tried it out

2. Do you think it is possible/feasible to develop a 3D engine alone within 6 months?
> Depends on the scale of the engine and the person developing it ...but yea it should be possible to get something nice done if you aren't aiming for the stars

3. What do you think of game development hobbyists?
> They are modern days heros (did I mention I am a game dev hobbyist?) [grin]

4. Do you recommend developing a 3D engine for your own?
> It is really a personal decision. If you enjoy doing something then by all means do it. If you want to make an engine, make one. If you want to make a game then maybe just using an existing engine would be a better use of your time ...it can be a lot of fun making your own though (my own opinion)

Section B:
1. What is your programming language of choice for 3D programming?
> C#

2. What is your API of choice for 3D programming?
> DirectX (MDX)

3. Have you created an open world environment to move around?
> Yep [smile]

4. how did you learn about 3D programming?
> The internet (mostly the good folks here at gamedev.net)

5. Do you enjoy 3D programming?
> I wouldn't do it if I didn't enjoy it [smile]

6. Please list out any 3D Engine (that is not developed by your own) you used before.
> I haven't used any at the moment. Tinkered around in the source of a few (quake, quake3 and irrlicht) but haven't actually used them as such.

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
Section A:

Yes I have heard it and yes I like it.

2. Do you think it is possible/feasible to develop a 3D engine alone within 6 months?

If the programmer is skillfull enough, yes. Possibly not a cutting-edge technology engine, of course.

I think that their job is too hard and the financial rewards are usually too small, but I also think that gameplay innovations in the future are most likely to come from them instead of the "big" names.

If you want to develop an engine, develop an engine. If you want to make a game, use an existing one.

Section B

C++

OpenGL

Yes.

I did some software rendering stuff based on a series of tutorials in Delphi I found in a PC magazine. Then, I read some stuff about OpenGL in MSDN, but I only seriously started working with it when I got internet.

Yes.

6. Please list out any 3D Engine (that is not developed by your own) you used before.

Irrlicht.
Section A (For everyone) :
1. Yes I've heard of it and yes its okay.
2. thats an ambiguious question isn't it, a 3D engine like the Doom/Unreal engine not a chance, a simple 3D engine maybe it really depends on what features you will implement.
3. They're great :)
4. No and Yes, No because you shouldn't re-invent the wheel, yes becuase its helpful to know how wheels work :)

Section B (For those with 3D programming experience)
1. C++
2. DirectX 9
3. Yes, wasn't very large though
4. Self Taught
5. immensely, its a passion you know :)
6. Ogre, irrlicht

Hope that helps
Yes, I have. I like it because it looks like C, dislike it because it's completely based on indentation.

It's possible, but it's not enough time to test it and optimize it.

I think they need to learn how to go outside more and have a life. I haven't :-)

Definitely yes, you can learn many things in the process. But it can take a long time and it can be frustrating.

C++.

OpenGL, because it's cross platform.

Yes.

I took an OpenGL class at California State University of Northridge.

Yes, it's quite fun but time consuming.

Does VRML count as an engine? :-)
deathkrushPS3/Xbox360 Graphics Programmer, Mass Media.Completed Projects: Stuntman Ignition (PS3), Saints Row 2 (PS3), Darksiders(PS3, 360)
Section A:
1. I have used it to get started in programming, personally I don't like many of its "features" though (dynamic typing is the worst). Good language for learning programming concepts.
2. Sure, but not something which can be compared to commercial engines. You will have to either sacrifice a lot of flexibility, or many features.
3. I think it's good people are willing to explore an area in their free time. I think it helps the industry since many developers will already have some experience when starting to learn from the more serious places (university/college).
4. That depends entirely on your goal. If you want to design a game, just make a game or try to code AI, NPC scripts etc., then you shouldn't program your own game engine. If you want to learn how to handle big project, be a better programmer, learn about algorithms etc., then by all means try to write your engine. You should ask yourself, do I want to make a game or do I want to program a big project (of course game programming, also involves programming, but the engine is almost only programming).

Section B:
1. Currently it's C++, but that is only, and I mean only, because many more resources are available to C++ programmers than programmers in most other languages.
2. Direct3D, even though I don't really like it, I prefer it over OpenGL. And no other APIs for 80x86 and C++ is big enough to consider.
3. Some rather limited ones, yes, but I keep doing stuff, I think is more fun, like memory managers, hash maps, shader system etc.
4. Another development website recommended NeHe and OpenGL and I tried to learn it.
5. No, not really, I enjoy coding the graphics engine, since it's one of the hardest part of the game engine to design correctly.
6. C4Engine (can't recommend this one) and Nebula2
Yes I have heard of it, but I've never practiced with it so I can't say if I like it or not.

Vague Question... Depends completely on a different array of other issues. Dedication? Time Willing to Work on it? How many features? Are you a kick ass programmer?

A person could easily start as a hobbyiest and realize that they utilize a ton of potential which could lead them into the industry to be a great developer.

Depends on your goals. I'm sure developing a 3D engine will teach you an incredible amount of things, but in 6 months, if your not already experienced in 3D, I wouldn't recommend it at all.

Section C (For those without 3D programming experience)
1. Are you interested in learning 3D programming?
Absolutely

2. Are you interested in learning Python programming language?
No
Quote:Original post by Valkyrie4896

1) I have heard of it, but no, I've never really used it so I'm afraid I cannot say.
2) Yes, but then it depends on what you want to engine to do, how much you know about programming, 3D, the API's you will use, math etc...
3) They are great. Without them, I'm sure there wouldn't be as many professional game programmers now
4) Yes, only though if you are planning on making an engine and not a game all within a short time span

Quote:Original post by Valkyrie4896

1) C++
2) OpenGL
3) Yesh
4) I bought a book called 'Beginning OpenGL Game Programming'. That taught me much of the basics that I know now
5) I do, yes
6) Source, Quake II, Quake I, Ogre, The Cube Engine, Irrlicht

Also, just out of interest, why are you making a 3D engine in Python?
Yes, I've heard of it. Haven't used it, though, so I couldn't say if I like it or not.

Yes, if you're putting serious time into it.

I used to be a hobbyist, then I realized I could do it for a living!

Absolutely. If for nothing else than the experience. I don't think you can truly understand what goes into an engine unless you've tryed making one yourself.

C++

OpenGL, all the way.

Sure.

I learned the basics in school. Most of the real stuff I learned on my own through research and trial and error.

Definitely. I love programming things that have visual results.

Renderware

Good luck on the project!
-Tom BlindGame Design and Developmenthttp://tomblind.squad-seven.comtomblind@squad-seven.com
A.1. Have you ever heard of Python programming language? If yes, do you like it?
I'm familiar with Python, yes. It's a fairly nifty language, and definitely has its uses.

A.2. Do you think it is possible/feasible to develop a 3D engine alone within 6 months?
That's far too vague to give a meaningful answer. You can show some triangles on the screen in a few hours; you can draw simple poly-soup models in not much more time than that. On the other end of the scale, cutting-edge 3D engines often take over a year for a team of several highly capable programmers to develop. Honestly, it depends entirely on the kind of engine you expect to end up with, and the skills and experience of whoever is doing the work. Plus, "6 months" doesn't say much - 6 months of working 20 minutes a night after work/school? 6 months of 90 hour weeks?

A.3. What do you think of game development hobbyists?
As a group, nothing - the population is too diverse to develop blanket opinions of large numbers of people. I know a few hobbyist developers who have very impressive skills, and I know of a few who are basically doing little more than wasting their time. As for game development as a hobby... I think it's great. If you're the kind of person who can actually put out games, and enjoys doing it as a hobby, then go for it... I see no reason for myself to get in the way.

A.4. Do you recommend developing a 3D engine for your own?
Absolutely not. The ratio of unfinished engines to actually playable games in the world is roughly Ten Billion Times Too Much. Engine development is a highly specified skill, and frankly, we don't need more engines. We do need more games.

There was a time, several years ago, when I would have said the opposite - back then, you really had to know a lot about the mechanics of 3D engines to do anything, and that usually meant building your own to get the familiarity. Now, though, the technology has largely built abstractions around the "3D engine" concept to the point where specialized engine-development knowledge isn't all that necessary. Time that once would have been well-invested in doing engine development is now better spent with a brief introduction to the theoretical stuff, and practical use of existing engine technologies.

B.1. What is your programming language of choice for 3D programming?
My personal choice is C#. At work I use C++, which is acceptable, but C++ isn't the best language in the world by a long shot.

B.2. What is your API of choice for 3D programming?
Personal choice is Managed DirectX. At work I use vanilla DirectX (well, I can't strictly say I use it, because I virtually never actually venture that deep into the engine code).

B.3. Have you created an open world environment to move around?
Yes.

B.4. [H]ow did you learn about 3D programming?
By squandering most of my childhood in front of a computer.

B.5. Do you enjoy 3D programming?
Some parts of it are interesting, but I get much more enjoyment from other things, like gameplay development.

B.6. Please list out any 3D Engine (that is not developed by your own) you used before.
I've only used engines that either I've developed personally, or have been developed as proprietary technology.

Wielder of the Sacred Wands
[Work - ArenaNet] [Epoch Language] [Scribblings]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement