Sign in to follow this  

XGL - how does it work?

This topic is 4244 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Actually, the geometry isn't all that highpoly. I play around with Compiz (the window manager, XGL is just the server backend) from time to time and a grid of 16 by 16 points is the default to acheive the wobbly effect, so that really isn't too many polygons.

I really can't see why you don't think those effects can be achieved realtime. A modern 3D game will render thousands of times more polygons per second than Compiz does, even when you include all the extensions.

I believe that they use a GLX extension required by compiz to effetively render a GL context into a texture (and it uses that for non-GL windows too).

As others have pointed out, it's not the geometry which is tricky, but the fillrate (For example, see the demo where their window-switching thumbnails all update in realtime with alpha and have a movie playing).

Mark

Actually, the wobbly effect isn't done with shaders. The only effects which they use shaders for are the water effect, but that is still very new and crashes your desktop or malfunctions, and I doubt it is in that video.

This topic is 4244 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.