[java] Netbeans 5.0 - Getting a console window to open?

Started by
5 comments, last by nullsmind 17 years, 11 months ago
I got Netbeans 5.0 set up to most of my preferences. The last one is to get the console window to open without text showing up in the debug window. Is there a way to do this?
Advertisement
It's the output window, and for all practical means it is your console. Is there any reason you need a separate console window? An ASCII game or something?

shmoove
You can always redirect the System.out stream somewhere else.. Like, your window's big text area :D
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
I need a regular DOS-looking window for this project. The user doesn't see a Netbeans window showing the output.
But when you execute your program outside the IDE, you get the console window alright. Unless you wish to safely channel the ouput to another widget - which is exaclty what netbeans do, it "listens" to the System.out and System.err streams. It's quite easy to capture and read those streams, but I guess you figured it out by now ;)

Son Of Cain
a.k.a javabeats at yahoo.ca
Quote:Original post by nullsmind
I need a regular DOS-looking window for this project. The user doesn't see a Netbeans window showing the output.

As long as the user runs the app with "java" and not "javaw" a DOS Window will show up. The NetBeans output console is just what you use during development.
Mind as well make AWT/Swing apps in a debug window :) My point is I don't see what the user sees during development. I have my own c++ headers within my java app doing some various console colors and cursor positions. A debug window isn't doing anything useful as any real world app wouldn't. I found a way to do it in a console window, but I have to type it in each time. This is what the IDE tells me to do...

To run this application from the command line without Ant, try:
java -jar "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\JavaConsole\dist\JavaConsole.jar"

I guess there's no way to make the IDE automatically do this for me. Visual Studio 05 had the option so I figured NetBeans most likely would. If anyone finds a good solution, please let me know. I'll just type in the long string each time for now.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement