C++ or VB programming???

Started by
18 comments, last by jbadams 17 years, 11 months ago
Is it better to learn C++ or to learn VB for game developpment???
Project4Hire.com - Find Freelance Game Developers and Graphic Designers for all your project needs
Advertisement
VB is easier to learn, so if you've never programmed, you should go with VB. Its probably powerful enough to let you do any game you'll have the desire to do.

That said, the games industry is 99% ruled by C++. Once you'll be comfortable with VB, its quite easy to learn the specificities of C++ and switch from a language to another.

Hope this helps
It depends on your intelligence. If you can learn how to fly before you can walk then choose C++ for your games otherwise start on VB. C++ however is the best base language for making games.
<-> Rate someone badly if they say something that has absolutely nothing to do with your problem; don't rate people badly because they tried to help you with their limited knowledge. <->
Quote:Original post by xEricx
Once you'll be comfortable with VB, its quite easy to learn the specificities of C++ and switch from a language to another.

You've never had to correct a VB programmer's C++ code.

I say C++. It worked for me and all my friends.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

No, but I've had to correct bad programmers' C++ code. I don't think VB makes poor C++ coders...

I learned VB in school, learned C++ by myself... not that my VB experience helped me much, but it certainly didn't hinder my progress.
Quote:Original post by xEricx
I don't think VB makes poor C++ coders...

Your right it doesn't. It's bad VB programming teachers* that create bad C++ programmers.

*and by VB teachers I mean a math teacher that took a course in VB at a junior college and got assigned to a high school class because the school wouldn't get a decent teacher.

When you are about to learn a new language, why not C# ? It has a C++ like syntax and is secured/wrapped like visual basic?

Anyway, a programming lanugage is just a tool that serves a purpose. Take souch kind of tool that will most quickly and easliy do your job. With C/C++ it will take years to gain the required knowledge. With C# you will much earlier have great results.
Quote:Original post by Samurai Jack
With C/C++ it will take years to gain the required knowledge. With C# you will much earlier have great results.

It took me (and the other 20 people in my intro to C/C++ class) 5 months.

(here we go again...)

Lets not start a language war :)

With the new .NET system, C# is pretty much the same thing as VB, the only thing that changes is syntax.

As for C++ requiring years... well, its true in part... but even after a few months you can have results, probably suboptimal results, but you'll have results.
Something you may have gathered from the above posts (if you ignore thier little jabs at each other) is that there isn't really a best language to use. Learning to program is difficult; learning a programming language is (generally) not. Once you get a good understanding of programming using one language, you'll find it's not all that difficult to pick up and learn a new one.

When you ask a question like this you're basically only getting the opinions of various individuals, there isn't a definitive correct answer. Often you'll simply have the favorite language of a given poster recommended, or the language they learnt it. This does for me as well, I can only give you an opinion.

So, all this discussion isn't really helping you, should you learn C++ or VB?
You can get the tools for either for free. There are free online tutorials for both. The same is likely true of any other languages you might look at. I suggest you pick one and try it out - if you don't like it or are having too much trouble with it, try the other. You could even search for some tutorials in each and have a look at which you think might be easier before you start out. Once you decide on a language you can then think of purchasing some books or whatnot. Keep in mind that learning any programming language will most likely be challenging when it's your first challenge, so you do need to persist with it to a certain degree.

You'll probably find that Visual Basic will be the simpler of the two, but people have different learning styles, and it's quite possible you'll have no trouble with C++.

- Jason Astle-Adams

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement