Need help with Tetris Clone Please!

Started by
4 comments, last by Hilbily001 17 years, 11 months ago
I have been trying to do this for a week and would really like to see if I can get some help on this. I tried making a tetris game using bitmaps and graphics, but opted to go after a more simplistic version. I decided to just use the numbers stored in the piece array. Thanks in advance for any help or pointers. And btw, I am using the GDI API, Im attempting to use the most simple API. [Edited by - Hilbily001 on May 1, 2006 12:28:05 AM]
Hilbily001Admin@HilBily-Works.comhttp://www.hilbily-works.com
Advertisement
If your API name is related in any way to Microsoft, "simple" can go down the drain. Try using SDL or Allegro, since they will also work for many of your future games.
I agree, allegro is excellent choice, but a good idea is to create a design document so you dont get lost in the middle of the design, also look at the sticky for tetris clone for good idea if u decide to stay API.
Kewl Softwarez -Time is what you make of it.
Quote:Original post by Hilbily001
I decided to just use the numbers stored in the piece array. Thanks in advance for any help or pointers.

I don't quite follow you. What exactly have you achieved yet and where do you need help?

BTW here's a pointer: int *x ;-)
There's alink to a Tetris tutorial in the sticky thread at the top of this forum; read it, it's excellent.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
I appreciate the replies. I am using GDI as it is an integral part of VC++ where as SDL is a third party API and it doesnt include text support. In order to use text and SDL I would have to include yet more third party files and setup my project accordingly. I am trying to keep the overall design of my project as simple as possible. I may then drive the code bus over to the SDL stop and take on some more passengers, but right now I dont think its an exact API issue that Im having, its a design issue.

Right now I have about 3 pages of design documents, structure overview, goals and such. Now it looks like a pile of jumbled words, hehehe. I will definitely take another look at it and see if I can re-evaluate my position, goals and some implementation ideas.

As for the text thing... Instead of wracking my brain on how to visually represent bitmaps to reflect my array that contains my game map data, why not just show the game array on screen? Instead of showing a block bitmap or combination of them, my game shows letters assembled to represent the tetroids, tetramos or game pieces. So far it has been easier to get somewhere with my code without worrying about bitmaps, how to update them, implement them or design them. Once I get a text version of tetris done, I will move on to using bitmaps.

Thanks again for the help!
Hilbily001Admin@HilBily-Works.comhttp://www.hilbily-works.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement