I need to write a huge game, tonight!

Started by
13 comments, last by Bob Janova 17 years, 11 months ago
I need to write the entire card game Munchkin, tonight. It only has to have the cards in the first game, but it has to be playable online. It does not need to have computer players. So, I was going to write it in Java, but I don't know how to use the version 5 sdk or whatever it is they have. I am thinking about writing the client in Flash, and doing the main game in PHP. Problem is my Flash and PHP/Flash interaction is really bad. So, what should I do? It doesn't matter if it is playable from a website or a program, just that it works and is running by tonight. Thanks for any advice.
I think there's to much blood in my caffeine system.
Advertisement
You're screwed!

What do you know if you don't know java or flash? Use the tools you know and make it work!
Well, I have dabbled in Flash, but it has been a while. I am good with php. I could do this no problem in php, but the game needs to look like it is real time, and that is where the Flash client comes in.
I think there's to much blood in my caffeine system.
Then use whatever you can to get it to work -- even gamemaker or PHP would probably be better than nothing.
If you're familiar with AJAX then use that :-)
I hate to tell you this gandolf1212 but you are kind of toast. Yeah there are those of us that could get this done in the time you have but it would not be the beat game in world. Programming takes tike and effort to accomplish well.

First you need to work on a disign to make sure you know what you are planing to do and how you want to get it done. Then you need to write your code following your disign and make modifications to the disign as needed. Finally you need to TEST your code over and over, fixing all the things you messed up. This is just the lifecycle of code, there is little you can do about it.

theTroll
@The Troll- That was pretty much uncalled for. It didn't help him, and besides, it looks like he's been programming for awhile(look at the date he joined!)

Now that I've said that, gandolf, Ithink your best bet would be GameMaker.It's easy to use, and has a built in language for you to use.
-Kyle
Why does this have to be done tonight?

Because personally, I would talk to whoever is expecting this (professor, teacher, client?) and say it can't be done in time and negotiate/beg for a little extra time. Realistically, I don't think it can be done in one night.
Just to explain why I responded the why I did. I suspect that this is an assignment from a class that he is taking, I suspect that he put it off until the last minute.

I was trying to explain to him that programming take WORK. It is not something that you just throw together and hope for the best.

You are right that I could have said it in a better way, but it is a little frustrating to see all of these other people working very hard to learn while this persons just wants it done now.

theTroll
Quote:Original post by FullThrottle
@The Troll- That was pretty much uncalled for.

I think it was called for,
I'd agree with TheTroll's evaluation

Quote:Original post by TheTroll
I could have said it in a better way, but it is a little frustrating to see all of these other people working very hard to learn while this persons just wants it done now.

Agreed
ohwell, can't always be nice and fluffy with everything we say

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement