c++ or c#

Started by
39 comments, last by sebastiansylvan 17 years, 11 months ago
I haven't been around for a while , and I have a basic query. I just want to ask how C# is now rated compared to C++. Like , is C++ still the most popular language, or is c# now seen as more of an equal to C++ for game programming?
Advertisement
For an accurate look, take a peek at the game programming jobs listing and see what employers are looking for.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

With C# you can land a job as a tools programmer in a games company. With C++ you have more chances to be able to work on the engine, gameplay, etc... Games themselves are mostly written in C++.
I prefer C++ for game development.
Best thread on the subject in my opinion. Check out what Saruman has to say.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Fixed link ;)
Thanks, I just solved it too.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Mat Noguchi from bungie is a big advocate of c# so some of the industry is beginning to turn. There was mention of it a month or so back on sweng-gamedev mailing list IIRC.

Twitter: [twitter]CaffinePwrdAl[/twitter]

C++ is still the most commonly used language in the industry, and probably will be for a while to come (mainly because current programmers are already trained in C++, and many companies 500,000+ line code bases are still written in C++). As was stated above, C# is very useful for tool development and other auxilliary components for the game, and it is making signifigant inroads in the business app/GUI development field, thanks to the capabilities of the .NET framework.
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
if your using c# arraylists to manage your textures your gonna get a performance hit.

using realloc and a stack to remember which array indexes are empty is fast.

c# have an unsafe allocator aswell so you can use that. But then your gonna have as much coding to do as c++.

--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement