hw_random: RNG not detected

Started by
7 comments, last by Ademan555 17 years, 11 months ago
Geeze, this thing is giving me a headache... I finally installed ubuntu on my laptop. Boy was that a mistake. When i try and start it up i get the message "hw_random: RNG not detected" somewhere in the boot proccess (either late in LILO's lifetime or early in ubuntu's) and i haven't the slightest clue how to fix this. I've been told to simply remove the module, but I don't know for sure how to do that, and i sure as heck don't know how to do that lacking even a bash console. So what do I do? thanks a ton -Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Advertisement
Which version of Ubuntu are you using? I don't recall hw_random being loaded in the versions I've used and I don't quite see why it wouldn't boot because of the failure to load it.

Anyway. There should be some other boot option (e.g., "recovery mode" or single user mode) at the LILO menu. Try to boot to that. Or, if you're comfortable enough to know how to do it, use a Live-CD and the mount the root or "/etc" partition (whichever has "/etc" in it) read-write. Open "/etc/modules" in a text editor and see if there's a line with "hw_random" on it. If so, remove it. If not, I'll try again :).
Thanks a lot for that. I really appreciate it. Now you said to change things at LILO's boot menu... may I ask how i get to LILO's menu? I don't know jack about LILO (and i'm a linux n00b to boot). But I understand the LiveCD approach, and I may very well do that, but for future reference could you explain the LILO technique to me? I'm not in a position to try either till later today. But thanks a ton for it all!

cheers
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
Hrm, when I tried the LiveCD which definitely worked on my other computer (desktop) and i THOUGHT had worked on my laptop as well, it failed at "starting hotplug subsystem". I'm going to see if the liveCD works on this computer (desktop) but I would appreciate alternative method's in the meantime

thanks
-Dan
Quote:Original post by Ademan555
Now you said to change things at LILO's boot menu... may I ask how i get to LILO's menu?

I haven't used LILO in a bit, so I'm a little rusty. If you want to skip the menu thing or it's not being shown: try typing "linux single" and hitting enter ("linux 1" might work also, but try single first).
When/where do i type "linux single" ? I don't have control over input at any point before the problems (in both cases) other than f2 to enter bios setup

cheers
-Dan
Oops, sorry. Hold shift or alt after your BIOS is done but before LILO prints "LILO" to the screen and it should offer some interactivity.
i thought ubuntu only uses grub, not lilo. i think the grub menu also had a "recovery mode" boot option that boots the system into single user mode (init 1) to let you fix any problems.
This space for rent.
Thanks both of you. And for the record, ubuntu wanted to install lilo by default... it reccomended grub though... but i chose not to since i wanted my main partition to be xfs and apparently grub doesnt like xfs

thanks
-Dan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement