Sign in to follow this  
rtmeffert

Warning! N0ob question!

First, thank you all for taking the time to read the postings of the N0obs! I have definately been on both sides, and I know how time consuming we can be. My brother and I are very new to Game Design, however, we have been programming basic (very basic modular based) programs for years. So, while I am familiar with coding, I am completely unfamiliar with game design coding. I am not sure if I am at an advantage or not. Either way, we have invested some time into learning Torque and 3DS Max. For years we have been creating a game that is table-top RPG (Similar to D&D) so we have a lot of our digital art, game mechanics, story, etc. completed. My question is in regards to Torque and C++. I have seen areas where you would utilize C++ scripting, but it seems very modular, in that you could utilize pre-written code and simply modify it to your liking. I was wondering when utilizing a game engine, how often you would get involved in the advanced mathematics piece. I have browsed through this board and seen a lot of posts regarding math. Is this something I need to spend my time digging into, or do you find you just learn what you need to, as you come across it?

I find that you use math quite often in general coding. In everyday coding having a strong understanding of basic algebra, math and operator precedence, and program logic (algorithms) is important. That being said, you don't find a lot of linear algebra, matrix math, or geometry/trig in most code. With the internet at my fingertips I've found it to be much more productive from my stand point to focus in on learning C++, while leaving advance maths to a simple google search when needed.

I'd say in general programming math isn't really that important. You need to have very basic math skills. I think an understanding of logic and structure is more important. Of course, if your writing a math-intense application like a game, then you will need more in-depth maths, like algebra, vectors and matrices.

Math isn't used a lot in programming, mostly it's simple stuff like Algebra, Trigonometry etc., but you do get better at problem-solving in general by learning math. I believe you'll be a better programmer if you have a solid understanding of math.