Sign in to follow this  

Hard Drive Problems...I think

This topic is 4244 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry if this is off topic but I could not figure out anywere else to go... So I think something is up with my computer. Yesterday I was on it and everything was running perfect. Then all of the sudden things start bogging down and I start to hear weird noises from the computer itself. The noises sound like clicking and the hard-drive spinning. I have two HD's in my setup. One I store all my aps and OS on and the other I have all my data on. So I checked out what my CPU was up to and when I run any ap that access data on the second HD the CPU maxes out. Anyone have any clue as to what might be going on? How to you know if a HD is failing? Weird thing is I can still use the HD drive in question. It just makes a lot of noise and slows everything down. I suspect the one I have all my data on is failing. Reason being is because when I open up a project that has the data stored on the D drive things go crazy. So what I did was moved one of my projects onto my C drive and ran it from there. Low and behold it worked fine. I am in the middle of a project and am worried to all hell. Thanks Chad

If a hard drive is failing then it may have to read over and over trying to get the information. It could very well be doing exactly what you described. I suggest you get everything you can after the drive before it goes for good.

theTroll

I am in the process of doing that as we speak. Honestly I hope this is the problem because then I know and know what to do to fix it. The only thing that is bothering me is that I can't figure out a way to tell if it is the HD failing for sure. Any suggestions?

Well, generally speaking, that kind of noises can only come from a limited number of components. (The CPU has no moving parts, for example, so it can't making clicking or spinning noises. The HDD can, and will, when it's failing)

So yeah, it very likely *is* your harddrive.
As for which one? Take one out, boot the computer, listen.
Then take the other one out, boot the computer, listen.

If you hear the noise, then the problem is on something that's still connected. [wink]

And just hurry up and back up everything. *Especially* of the project you're working on. Burn it to a CD *right now* if it's important. Then run down to buy a new drive.

This topic is 4244 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.