Execute Files Spy ?

Started by
5 comments, last by Paulius Maruska 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi friends, I installed a free game. I change this game resource(bitmaps and sounds) for my language. Then i want make setup again for this game with "InstallShield" or "Wise Installation". I don't know what files does it use.Is there any program that can spy this file(Game execute) and report me that i must how many files(Dll,...) attach for my installation. Thanks, --Mojtaba--
--Mojtaba--
Advertisement
1) FileMon: http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/Filemon.html will tell you which files the application tries to access at runtime.

2) Dependency Walker: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dependencywalker.html will tell you which DLLs (and similar) are required by an executable. It works heirarchically, so if a DLL required by the EXE itself requires a DLL, that will also be listed.

Dependency Walker is also available in the Microsoft Platfrm SDK (Tools -> Depends).

3) You may also be able to find a utility to disassemble WISE/InstallShield installation scripts to get the file list. I've never needed to do that, so can't recommend any, but I'm fairly confident something will exist to do that.

4) Alternatively you could just contact the author of the original game. I'm sure most freeware authors would be glad of someone localising their game for free.

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

It doesn't matter if the game is free - you can not change something and release it without getting permission from its original author.

Now, if you contact the author and he lets you do what you already did. You can ask him for help in releasing your changed version of the game.
What you are doing is illegal but I will answer you question anyways.

With Installshield or Wise you can take a snapshot before the install and then on after and do a compair, it will then tell you everything that happened durring the install.

theTroll
Quote:Original post by TheTroll
What you are doing is illegal but I will answer you question anyways.

I know where you're coming from, and there is a sneaky "is this legit and all it seems?" feeling here, but...

AFAIK (I'm not a qualified lawyer...) reverse engineering software for personal use isn't strictly illegal unless the license agreement/EULA specifically prohibits it. Furthermore, intellectual property laws do differ from country to country.

The application and its media, are however very likely to be covered by copyright (with all ownership rights likely belonging to the original author), even if distributed as freeware.

What can be illegal in many (but not all!) countries is re-distribution of the altered software - but whether it is depends on the legal documentation on the original program and the laws of the country/countries it's distributed in.

If the original poster has any intention of (re)distributing the altered software (he/she hasn't stated that intention...yet), then as has been mentioned, the best thing to do is contact the original author - who will likely be more than happy to get free localisation - and maybe help re-package the files too.

Simon O'Connor | Technical Director (Newcastle) Lockwood Publishing | LinkedIn | Personal site

Thanks to all,
Unfortunately in my country doesn't run law of copyright.(that shame)[rolleyes]
I hope that this problem will solve early.
I don't want sell this game for benefit.
I want work on this project for increase my knowledge.
In other word i want perform this project for academical purpose.

--Mojtaba--
--Mojtaba--
I think you should contact the author anyway (even if you don't have plans to resell/redistribute it). He is the right person to ask for help, because he is the only person who knows exactly how everything works in the game and its installers.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement