Working as a Software Programmer

Started by
3 comments, last by smitty1276 17 years, 11 months ago
Hi. I am about to graduate from college with 2 degrees. One in Biomedical Sciences and one in Nutrition Science. Now after going through these past 5 years to get these degrees I have just realized that I probably am not going to go into any field with this type of background unless used as a backup plan. But I have always loved computer programming and have been teaching myself for quite sometime now. I am wondering if job opportunities are available even without a degree in Computer Science or Software Engineering.
Advertisement
Available probably but will likely be very difficult to get considering you will be competing with others more qualified. Make sure you have a very strong 'demo reel' or whatever that shows clearly that you know your stuff.
There are definitely job opportunities available to you without a CS degree (or any degree for that matter). However, you will have to fight to prove yourself ... this will often come in the form of either free work for clients, or personal projects.

You need to be able to prove your talent without relying on a piece of paper to prove it for you.
Joel Martinez
http://codecube.net
[twitter]joelmartinez[/twitter]
There are some interesting programs out that there you might be interested in, it is bio-computing. It is modeling and simulations of biology and physiology. There are quiet a few programs around the US that offer this. This might be a way to use your biology schooling and programing. Yeah the last thing you want to hear is maybe some more school but this is a rapidly growing field.

theTroll
I know the previous poster said virtually the same thing, but Biomedical Sciences coupled with an ability to program is a very valuable combination. I'm not sure how you would go about getting involved, though. If you are interested in more school, there are quite a few schools that emphasize interdisciplinary research where biomedical and computer science would work hand in hand. I know Harvard stresses this type of cross-discipline stuff, but Harvard may not be feasible for most people. If you got involved in something like somewhere, though, it would probably open a lot of doors in both fields.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement