OpenAL tutorials?

Started by
5 comments, last by Kylotan 17 years, 11 months ago
Hey, I know this is kind of an odd request, but does anyone have any openAL tutorials that do not use Alut? Or even some sample code that loads a file and plays it. Anything would help right now. Thanks!
-)------ Ed
Advertisement
hello,

here you can find maybe some tuts, that are interesting for you:

http://www.devmaster.net/articles.php (scroll down to the bottom)

georg
Thanks for the attempt. Unfortunatly those all have alut as well. I think I have a handle on the initilization, I really need help with the loading of files and playing them.
-)------ Ed
There's a nice article right here on GameDev: A Guide To Starting With OpenAL.

My advice, however, would be to use a third party library like FMOD, Audiere or SDL_mixer. Good luck!
Rob Loach [Website] [Projects] [Contact]
Here is my sample code that can load a file and play it. You may need to dig around the files for the relevant parts.

opengal_audio.zip
Good Luck Sir.
0xa0000000
The tutorials at DevMaster are pretty outdated now, although they remain the best (IMO) tutorials on OpenAL available. Don't neglect the official API docs and just use their tutorial though, because you'll get yourself into trouble.

Actually SigmaX, ALUT is much better now than it used to be. It remained depricated for a while, but it was re-released a couple months ago (and called "freealut") and my experience with it so far has been nothing but positive. Unless you have some special needs, I would recommend that for buffering WAV files, you just use freealut instead of trying to role your own decoder.

A little off-topic, but I've been keeping up with OpenAL development lately and they are making a host of (IMO good) changes to their existing site, -including- putting up some freaking tutorials.

mailing list post

While I'm off-topic [wink], for anyone new to OpenAL I would like to point out the following post I made a couple days ago:

OpenAL fallacies

In that post I outlined and identified the major issues that I (and others) have found working with OpenAL. It would do you some good to read that post (and the replies that follow) before you get too deep into OpenAL, because these are major issues that have been a thorn in my side for months and I've wasted a lot of valuable time trying to hack my way around these problems.

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

Quote:Original post by Rob Loach
My advice, however, would be to use a third party library like FMOD, Audiere or SDL_mixer.

Are there any decent sound libraries that have a less restrictive license than LGPL? Audiere looks like the best bet, but if C++ or LGPL are a problem you're out of luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement