Sign in to follow this  
petelta

Which 3d program

I have just begone to dabble in 3d art and animation. I have downloaded and made a few models in Anim8or and am wondering if there is any better I could use like blender, etc. I am planning on doing some movies in my spare time so wanting the best I can get for free for now heh. thanks

If your looking for free then Blender and Wings3d are good bets. Both have positives and negatives but both are good at what they do.

For more information, see the sticky at the top of this forums threads.

good luck,
slowpid

Well, I have heard that Blender is a good one. And I've used it before, but never really got anywhere with it. I wasn't much into graphics design when I tried though.

But once you can save up a few thousand US Dollars, you could get 3D Studio Max or Maya. But I wouldn't recommend spending the money on it if you're just starting 3D modeling.

If I'm not mistaken, there's a learning edition of Maya/3DS Max. Or maybe it's both. I believe it is free, but includes a watermark or something.

I received 3D Studio Max 6 as a gift a while back, and I'm alright with it. I did mostly poly-modeling, instead of NURBS and other more complicated methods. And then I got Maya as a gift, just recently. It's going great for me. I'm doing more NURBS/SubDivisions modeling than Polygon modeling. =P

I'm sorry if any of this information is misleading. I'm not trying to stray you away from the easier, free programs. I just wanted to let you know what I did, and thought it may help out. But it may not. =)

I never could figure Blender out. But 3DS Max and Maya are no problem. I guess it's just the way the Blender interface was laid out, but like I said, it's been a while. =P

If you're just doing modelling, I've heard very good things about Modo and Silo.

Maya's free, pretty full featured learning edition is called the PLE (Personal Learning Edition). Max's learning edition is called GMax. They have stopped supporting it, but you'll be able to find a copy of it somewhere. It has most, if not all, of 3dstudio's modelling features (and it can export as .3ds).

Quote:
Original post by Professor420
If you're just doing modelling, I've heard very good things about Modo and Silo.

Maya's free, pretty full featured learning edition is called the PLE (Personal Learning Edition). Max's learning edition is called GMax. They have stopped supporting it, but you'll be able to find a copy of it somewhere. It has most, if not all, of 3dstudio's modelling features (and it can export as .3ds).

If you are looking at trying to learn 3DS Max, then GMax is probably a good way to go.

However, I don't think it can export .3ds (from my memory). It can only save in its own format (although it can import .3ds files), and in formats specified by game packs.

Plugins for 3DS Max do work on GMax for the most part though, and you can use a .MD3 exporter for instance to export your models, then import them in another program and convert to your needs.

If you're looking for it, I think it can still be downloaded at www.turbosquid.com