Game Engine Suggestions

Started by
5 comments, last by AsOne 17 years, 11 months ago
Hello All, I am writing a 3D Fighter Jet Game that is currently in demo phase, so far i used VB6 and truevision3d. See screenshots in lower section of page. Screenshots Now i want to enhance it and looking for some alternative game engines as well. So can you someone give me list of best available free game development frameworks/engine bundles. This game may require followings: 1. Load 3ds files 2. Load level map files 3. physics / collision detection 4. special effects 5. Sound effects / music Please provide your options so that we can discuss more. thanks
Humayun ShabbirCo-Founderwww.sourcesystems.net
Advertisement
I am quite the fan of Irrlicht, however, Irrlicht is only a rendering engine (mostly), so other engines would be needed for sound and physics (although there is built in collision detection). There are some tutorials on the Irrlicht site about using Novodex and PhysX in the Irrlicht engine, and it doesn't seem to be a too difficult task, and I might end up using one of these engines as well in my current project.

As for sound, I have never used a sound engine / api other than the sound functions in Allegro. In my current project I am going to be using FMod, however, I have not yet got into that yet.

I think most OpenSource engines are about as capable as the next, I have used Ogre before (briefly I admit) and found it tedious to get something up and running quickly. Whereas in Irrlicht I found it easy to get something working, and the documentation online is very good.

Other than Irrlicht I have used Panda3D, however, this engine is used with python. I have looked at various other engines as well, and they might be of interest to you, but I have no personal experience using them.
- NeoEngine
- OpenSceneGraph
- Nebula Device 2
- Beyond Virtual
- Crystal Space 3D
Have you checked the listing on DevMaster.net? There are some fairly extensive listings of 3d engines and reviews there.

BTW, VB6 doesn't produce very good code so it is a good idea to be looking for a ready-made engine. Python is a good scripting engine but LUA embeds better (or so I'm told).
I recall trying the "Nemo" engine, but I just Googled it and can't find a link to it...
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
thanks for all suggestions, i also found Irrlicht a very easy to use and flexible because its support for many languages. OGRE3D is also a good engine but i think it lack language support and little hard to get started, I also tried CrystalSpace but i am very new to it and dont find it easy to use yet.

Are there any prebuilt game development SDKs for free e.g. bundle of game development tools like 3D rendering, AI, physics, sound and level design.

thanks
Humayun
Humayun ShabbirCo-Founderwww.sourcesystems.net
It seems that the site has gone down. The people over at vbgamer had rated NemoX 3 stars with everything else at 2. If you need it, I'll upload it somewhere.
The best thing to do is just choose whatever you think you'd prefer, and go for it. -Promit
humayun you might want to try looking into these, as they have tools made specifically for them.
Genesis (sort of old though)
Antiryad Gx
TrueVision3D

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement