Game Engine Design Books

Started by
4 comments, last by noNchaoTic 17 years, 11 months ago
I was thinking of getting this book to begin learning how to put all the things together to make an engine. Is this book alright? It has 5 stars and some good reviews. Is it worth getting or is another one better?
Advertisement
I have heard some decent things about Eberly's 3D Game Engine Architecture. The book you linked to seems to be fairly specialized and I'm not sure how well suited it is to teach general game engine design.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
I have a book called "3D Game Engine Design" by Apress. Its useful to get the design, but the actual implementation is quite poor. (Written in C# / .NET, but the principles of design can be applied to any language)
JUST-CODE-IT.NETManaged DirectX & C# TutorialsForumsArticlesLinksSamples
I just need a better understanding of how to design and set up an efficient engine using a scene graph or similar device with a dedicated renderer and other areas. My current execution of these tasks in singularly in one main file to simply run the loop and perform the rendering. I am working on an engine slowly but I'm not sure if my design will hold up.
I highly recommend Eberly's Game Engine Architecture. He walks you through setting up and rendering a scene graph in the first few chapters. Although there were some decisions that he made for his engine that I would do differently, he does a really good job of breaking down a complex piece of software.

Just for reference, Eberly worked on the NetImmerse engine. I didn't think too much of it while I was reading his book, but I later discovered that NetImmerse turned into Gamebryo. Just food for thought.
-----------------------------------Indium Studios, Inc.
Quote:Original post by Sr_Guapo
I have heard some decent things about Eberly's 3D Game Engine Architecture. The book you linked to seems to be fairly specialized and I'm not sure how well suited it is to teach general game engine design.

And rightly so, I own it, it's awesome. Also check out his previous releases Game Engine Design and Geometric Tools, both of which are also decent.

Hope this helps!
Steven ToveySPUify | Twitter

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement