Things to make you think

Started by
57 comments, last by Prgrmr@wrk 17 years, 9 months ago
Have you ever noticed there has never been a black main character in a RPG (not counting GTA as one). views and ideas of why this is? (besides Japan just wanting to stick to only their race....well most of the time...but the still do no use black peopleffor main chracters)
Advertisement
Discounting games that do have a black main character, no, there don't seem to be any games with black main characters. But then, that's not particularly surprising.

EDIT: sorry, that sounded somewhat facetious, I think I should add some content to my post ;). Why would there be a need for a black main character? Moreover, why would it be preferred that the main character not be white?
Quote:Original post by hymerman
Why would there be a need for a black main character? Moreover, why would it be preferred that the main character not be white?

First off! I am only talking about RPGs and I only stated the comment about GTA because some people believe it to be one also.

and to answer your question:

The same reason there would be a need for a white or Japanese character?! (that seemed kinda obvious)

Its all supposed to relate to the general public. So when I think of the general public I think of all the races not a few.
1) in many games you can custumize your character appearance and there you can change skin color for example: NeverWinterNights and BauldersGate (if Im not mistaken)

2) the classic RPG take to back to midevil Europe (Knights, dragons, mages, princess, etc...) and Tolkin stuff (elves, orcs, dwarves...) so blame Europe and Tolkin for the white heores

Iftah.
Theres nothing against black people/characters being the main character. It's just not the tradition that was built upon many, many years ago when we didn't have computers and people were playing pen and paper RPG's.

Role Playing Game. An Adventure within a fantasy based world. When I think about an RPG, the main character thats normally just pops into my head is a white burly warrior with a massive sword ready to take the fight to the enemy. Slaying dragons, hunting for treasures, etc. All deals with tradition and the 'norm'.

GTA wasn't a RPG.
In "olden-days" RPGs there not black because mainly they were slaves to the europeans so it was hard to be a hero, sorry if it sounds a bit... blunt, but its the 20th century.

Plus, a majority of RPG players tend to be caucasion, so that probably adds to the cause.

Also, I can imagine more Africans in futuristic or modern RPGs, since theres an equal chance to be a hero.

Edit: GTA is an RPG in part, you assume the role of a main character in a series of quests dont you?
People who identify as Black make up 13% of the US population.

In addition, Blacks have half the college graduation rate of Whites in the USA.

In Europe, Japan and South-east asia, people who identify as Black are even rarer.

These areas make up most of the market and produceres most of the game content.

People tend to make games about people like themselves. They also tend to make games that the largest availiable market will identify with.

So, not surprising.
I would like to see more Mexican heros.
much like the thread "what is rpg" i think you need to define if you mean classic sword and sccorcery rpg or any fps, adventure, whatever game that has rpg elements
I bet Master Cheif is black, or at least not white, no one would expect that.

And as a black preson, I'd probably say the reason for less black characters is who the game is aimed at, I'm less able to identify with a non black hero seting out to save his village but apperently 80% of America might be able to fully. That and the fact that it's probably not that big of an issue, just something that kind of happens. In my game i dont plan on having all the characters to be white, but I don't plan on them all being black either.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- My Email: [email=zike22@aol.com]zike22@aol.com[/email] - My AIM: zike22@AIM
"Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth. For a man can remake the world if he has a dream and no facts to cloud his mind." - The Emperor, WarHammer 40K

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement