Java Games?

Started by
11 comments, last by GameDev.net 17 years, 11 months ago
I have heard bits and pieces of jave game programming. But is java suitable for game programming? What are the advantages and dissavantages? Because I want to make a MMORPG(I think I got it right lol) combination RPG and I want to know which language is the best.
Advertisement
Hi

Languages are tools. You could make a MMORPG/RPG/Beat-em-up in &#106avascript if you really wanted but like using your fists to hammer nails into walls - its not the best of ideas.

Several games have been ported to Java from C++ and run quite efficiently. I see no reason - if you possess the abilities - to write whatever you want in Java.

Check out http://www.bytonic.de/html/jake2.html as one example

Regards,

Ste
Hmm interesting to see if you want to make (i.m.h.o) one of the toughest games around and you want to use java because you've heard that you could use it for game programming. Well is java suitable for making a mmorpg, like stecal849 said, ahwell, you could use java for it indeed (not what I would take but that is my opinion). The advantages of java...well...eum? it is quite easy to learn (you will be spending a hell of a lot of time in the java api pages, but after some months, perhaps years (when you do it by yourself). Disadvantages, well java is definitely slower then languages like c++ or c# and I think that the support for making a MMORPG with java is less then when you are going to use c++ (or something familiar).

I would really like to see the result :)

Good luck!

ps. This is NOT a post to bash your idea about making a mmorpg but you really need to be aware of the fact that it is really much work.
------------Something useful could be written here...
I see a lot of people jump in wanting to make MMORPG's, atleast 15 a day. How many get past the first day? Maybe .01% of em.
Quote:Original post by Vegettex

Good luck!

ps. This is NOT a post to bash your idea about making a mmorpg but you really need to be aware of the fact that it is really much work.

I know LOL I appreciate the feedback. What inspired me is one game, maybye you have heard of it, Runescape (www.runescape.com) Runescape is done in JAVA
Alas, I have heard that a lot too.

Keep in mind, the original Runescape itself(2d, you know) had around 15 guys on it, if not more.
The current has a lot of people(I'd say around 40+) and takes a lot of money to run. 100 servers * A couple thousand dollars a year? =)
Quote:Original post by Hispanic91
What inspired me is one game, maybye you have heard of it, Runescape (www.runescape.com) Runescape is done in JAVA

No offense, but everyone is inspired to make a MMORPG by RuneScape. These are the kids who have wanted to program games their whole lives, see RuneScape, think they can do better, find out how hard it really is, and give up and move on. If you do get past the initial hump and stick it out, you will not be able to jump in and make a MMORPG right away; you have to start by making smaller projects, like Pong, Tetris, etc. Once you have that down, you can move on to more complex games, like a platformer or RPG. After a few years of experience, you will then be ready to dive in and make a half-decent MMORPG.

That being said, Java would be an excellent language to start with, especially if you are hooked on the idea of having your game playable in the browser (in edition to Java Applets, you might want to look in to Java Web Start). Remember, if you find that Java is not your cup of tea, you can always fall back on C# or C++, or any other language that can draw to the screen, get input from a keyboard, and network with other PC's, because in the end, that's all you need to make a MMORPG.

Hope that helps... and good luck!
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
alas i have played runescape alot and it took them years to get where they are today, so dont get your hopes up, java was my first "real" programming language and it made learning c++ a breaze, but get ready for hours of fustration with the DOS commands and the java api they are a pain really, i would suggest making a MUD based rpg so you can learn if statments loops etc. i also suggest getting java books from barnes and noble for about 20-39 bucks pretty cheap! gl, have fun, and dont quit imaging one day you may be able to make your own runescape, just go throught the long nights and headaches like the rest of us :D
--------------------------- -- To Each His Own! -- Please Add to my rating if you think i helped you out! --
Quote:Original post by gsmaster
Alas, I have heard that a lot too.

Keep in mind, the original Runescape itself(2d, you know) had around 15 guys on it, if not more.
The current has a lot of people(I'd say around 40+) and takes a lot of money to run. 100 servers * A couple thousand dollars a year? =)

That is true, but if eventually I do get this game up and running I will run it off a cheap PC and use it as a web server. Im not talking have hundreds in different cities and have members and non member servers LOL.
Quote:Original post by Hispanic91That is true, but if eventually I do get this game up and running I will run it off a cheap PC and use it as a web server. Im not talking have hundreds in different cities and have members and non member servers LOL.

I hope your cheap pc can handle the load :)
------------Something useful could be written here...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement