MMORPG STORY LINE PROBLEM

Started by
18 comments, last by removed 17 years, 11 months ago
As im sure some of you know, I want to make a MMORPG. But, I ran into a non programming problem. The game is an RPG but I cant find a way to make it more MMORPG, or make people want to keep playing even after they have beaten it. Like mini games or something. Another idea I have thought of is haveing a sort of "Wilderness" like in runescape. So in laymans terms I want to know how to make my finish game still keep players playing since it is not like runescape in the fact that you cant really beat it.
Advertisement
I always looked at MMORPG writing as simply providing an immersive detailed world for the players. I never thought there was a way to "beat" an MMO, as it kind of defeats the idea.

All the MMOs that I'm familiar just provide an interesting world, with lots of stuff to do and goals to pursue, those goals of course are defined by what parts of your world the player is interested and what he or she personally wants to accomplish.

If you have something else in mind, please elaborate. If you want a book on world building, I suggest you pick up one of the campaign builder's guides for Dungeons and Dragons, or even just thumb through the Dungeon Master's Guide at the bookstore sometime. DnD guides provide a good amount of strategies for fleshing out a believable fantasy world.
Quote:Original post by Zenphobia

I never thought there was a way to "beat" an MMO, as it kind of defeats the idea.

Well, It is an MMORPG / RPG. It is like Zelda: Ocarina of Time, except you play with other people like on an MMO.
the way that most contemporary MMOs keep people playing is with a vast amount of 0.1% upgrades. Ok you collected your Blue armor set, now get the tier 1 purple, now get the tier 2 purple, now get the new armor from AQ. In guildwars, you have thousands of skills, you need to play, it's pokemon style "collect them all".

The challenge is to always have something way above where the player is that they can "dream" about and still have it be fun to get there. IMHO guild wars does that well with their skills (if you like PvP which is what the game is about). WoW did it well until the newest high end dungeons that got released weren't enough of an improvement over the last high end dungeons loot-wise and the people at the top have started quitting.

Basically, once people feel like their character isn't improving anymore, they quit.

The only way to make the end-game enjoyable is to continue to develop more content: new quests, new loot, new story-lines, eventually increasing the level cap, etc.

-me
Thanks, That was a big help.
Are you aiming more for a diablo style of play? Or maybe a multiplayer game that you continually add on too?

Describe how you envision the gameplay working, and maybe then we can start working out how to design a story.

Edit: If you're goal is to keep players interested after the story is over, if your game is a traditional rpg just with multiplayer, then consider incorporating a random dungeon generator and definitely a versus mode.
To be honest I dont know what diablo is.

But I want it to be an RPG that you beat yet, people will still play kind of like the stuff Palidine said. What else can I add besides new items?
A story driven multiplayer game is tricky to keep players playing after the game is over. But umm, incased my edit was too late:

Quote:Edit: If you're goal is to keep players interested after the story is over, if your game is a traditional rpg just with multiplayer, then consider incorporating a random dungeon generator and definitely a versus mode.
Quote:Original post by Hispanic91
To be honest I dont know what diablo is.

But I want it to be an RPG that you beat yet, people will still play kind of like the stuff Palidine said. What else can I add besides new items?

A new act was released in Diablo 2 giving new items, weapons, armor, the ability to use runestones in weapons and armor to make magical ones, and a whole expansion onto the story. (You kill Diablo and Mephisto, but they have a brother named Baal which you already encounter in a few cutscenes, now you must chase after Baal after you killed the first two of the three brothers, and you must fight through more dungeons, towns, and side-quests also. Do a simple google search for Diablo 2, and you'll find info on the game quite easily. (Blizard made it as I recall)
You gotta have good Player versus Player combat... Dark Ages of Camelot had me hooked like crack cocaine and nearly destroyed my marraige, all because of the massive PvP where there would be hundereds of attackers and defenders playing for dungeon access, relics that give PvE bonuses, defending keeps...

Darn it, now my hands are shaking... I need my fix!

Dreamaster

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement