• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
supermegavkoy

Transparent DDS

This topic is 4401 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

HI, I am making a computer game and will make some parts in DDS-format. These pictures will have a transparent background. I am using Adobe Photshop but when I save as a DDS-file the result is not transparent. Do you know what to do? Thank yo in advance, Vkoy [Edited by - Sneftel on May 5, 2006 3:09:34 PM]

Advertisement
DDS is an envelope; certain of the formats it supports, such as A8R8G8B8, DXT3, and DXT5, do support transparency. Are you using NVidia's DDS plugin?

Then just make sure you're saving in a format which supports alpha, and make sure your engine is set up to do alpha blending properly. You can use the 3D preview function in the exporter to verify that transparency is exported (it is not shown in the 2D preview, IIRC).

Oh, and this isn't really about game design. Moved to the DX forum. Also, I'ma uncapitalize your overly loud subject.

Ok, thanks for helping but nothing happens. I've tried all different alpha options. Maybe it's something easy as just pressing "transparency" somewhere?

EDIT: I want to se the colour with which I clear the window? Maybe it works already, but it doesn't seem to.

Quote:
Original post by supermegavkoy
Ok, thanks for helping but nothing happens. I've tried all different alpha options. Maybe it's something easy as just pressing "transparency" somewhere?

No, transparency is exported in any format that supports transparency. Is it showing up as transparent in the preview? (set the background color to something like bright green so that you can see it more clearly)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!