• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tldalton1622

C# or C++

This topic is 4486 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok, yes i just asked about blitz or c++ but im still looking for a more streamlined language. Are the keywords in C# that different than c++? How long would it take to learn C# compared to c++? I would like to make some games, obviously, and c++ is taking a while to learn. Would switching to C# as my primary language be wise? I still would be learning C++ on the side but i would really like to have something like a concrete game under my belt. Please no language war. I just want to know for a hobbyist which would be easier to learn and which would be able to make a game from a-z for the least amount of time. Also are there any compilers for c# that are free? Besides the microsoft express. Bloodshed would be preferable. I'll check their site.

Advertisement
C# would be easier to learn for a hobbyist. It lets you get started quickly and keeps you efficiant, without having to worry about all of the weirdness and complexity of C++; after all, what makes more sense, Console.WriteLine() or cout<< ? If you ever feel that you need to learn C++, you will be able to pick it up much quickly with your C# experience.

Quote:
Original post by tldalton1622
Are the keywords in C# that different than c++?

Not terribly different.

Quote:
How long would it take to learn C# compared to c++?

Who cares? It's going to take you longer to learn how to program than its going to take you to learn either language. That said. C# [generally] has less gotchas and mines for beginning programmers to deal with in their goal of learning how to program.

Quote:

I would like to make some games, obviously, and c++ is taking a while to learn.

Games are large and complex, any route you take is going to take a while.

Quote:
Also are there any compilers for c# that are free? Besides the microsoft express.

Probably, but you should get Microsoft's unless you have a good reason not to. No, ideological stance is not a good reason in this case.

Quote:
Original post by tldalton1622
I just want to know for a hobbyist which would be easier to learn

C#. C++'s power is only needed in the professional world.

Personally I think that if two languages is too alike it will only be confusing when you change between them. Since they are so like but actually different.

Flip a coin? It really dosen't matter if you learn C# or C++ the two languages aren't that different. C++ isn't anywhere hard as people say it is... it has more advanced features that you really don't need to make hobyist games. C# is a C++, its not much easier. The real thing you should think about is just learning to program. Things like variables and conditionals, if you know that stuff learning a language is easy and you'll know the basics of them all. And MS is the only legal C# compiler(unless someone got a liscence to make one and actually did it, if they did it would be terrible in comparrison). MSVCE isn't bad at all.

Quote:
Original post by Surg
And MS is the only legal C# compiler(unless someone got a liscence to make one and actually did it, if they did it would be terrible in comparrison). MSVCE isn't bad at all.

err, C# is an open standard, anyone who wants to can make a compiler for C#.

I would say C# as well.
What's your beef with Visual C# express?
It's a pretty decent environment for C# for FREE.
You could do a lot worse.
It's a breeze to make good looking apps with little effort, not to mention a minimal hit in speed.
That's not to say you can get sloppy, but you'll feel more productive rather than merely using the command line.

If you start feeling the itch to go speedier than that you can move to C++ and the Windows API later.

Both are going to be a challenge to learn, but, as someone mentioned above, the syntax is a bit more evident in C#.

Plus C# is currently used in a lot of different fields for hobbyists. Not that C++ isn't, but there seems to be more resources for tutorials and little apps like the WebMatrix to make things easier.

Another vote for C#.

Quote:
Original post by Surg
And MS is the only legal C# compiler(unless someone got a liscence to make one and actually did it, if they did it would be terrible in comparrison).

What, like that little company called Borland for example?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!