• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

[web] I want to remake someone's website: How do I get the job?

This topic is 4553 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

There is a particular company that is looking to redesign their website. They have someone on staff who is going to lead the project, and is ready to move forward. I want to help them, in some way: either doing the actual job, or at least providing significant design, graphics, and usability advice. This wouldn't exactly be a 'cold call,' but it's fairly close. Would it make sense to draft up some specific suggestions, or even website mock-ups, and then send those to the company, or should I try to discern their progress first?

Advertisement
mockups would be a good idea along with a portfolio of web projects you have already done so they can better judge your skill.

tstrimp, I wish I could rate you up more. And I've already given you cookies today, too.

As for a portfolio, would I just send a set of links, like so:
And, do you think these would be sufficient evidence that I don't totally suck?

McDermott Scholars
Online Duck Stamps (graphics and design only)
Amanda Martinez, Singer
Hurricane Relief Concert
Health Information Fair
Personal Portfolio (in progress)

Now, none of my work is done in Flash. Their current website is. I've done some work in Flash, but nothing I can send them (the DMA would not like it if I did). Would it be appropriate to mention that I've done Flash work for the museum without showing proof?

Regarding mockups - would static images be acceptable, or should I actually build sample websites? Also, I don't know all the information that they wish to display; I only have their current (and incomplete) website to work from.

Generaly static images work fine for mockups unless you are trying to demonstrate some sort of functionality. Then of course you'd need a working model of some sort. The entire site is being developed in flash?

What kind of influence were you trying to have? Technical or design? If you're just looking to help with design then working examples of flash shouldn't be a requirement.

Oh, good point. Just design, so, yeah. In that case, looks like I know basically what I need to do. We'll see how it goes...

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!