• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Clipping plane misconception?

This topic is 4399 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've heard the phrase "push your near clip plane as far away from the camera as possible". I'm just checking that this is a bit of a generalisation. Firstly, I'm of the belief that in general, having the near clipping plane too far from the camera can cause unwanted clipping of objects some distance away from the camera (so you end up seeing the insides of stuff), depending on the scale you are using. Now from my experiences, if you place your near plane really close to the camera (e.g. 0.000001), you get depth buffer fighting near to a typical far plane (e.g. 1000.0). However, this doesn't seem to matter if you scale everything in the scene down to, say 1/1000th scale and pull the far plane into 1.0. In other words, from what I understand, it's really minimising the ratio of far/near which is important for avoiding depth buffer fighting. Can anyone confirm/deny this for me?

Advertisement
Because of the way depth is computed, most of the precision in the depth buffer is spent close to the near plane. This makes sense since it means you get more precision for things that are close than things that are far away. It also means that pushing the near plane out generally gives you much more precision than bringing the far plane in. So it's the ratio that's important but you get more bang for your buck by pushing the near plane out compared to bringing the far plane in.

Quote:
Original post by Leo_E_49
I've heard the phrase "push your near clip plane as far away from the camera as possible". I'm just checking that this is a bit of a generalisation.

Well the real story is usually a bit too much for someone that asks this question : sometimes it's better to just have a simple answer in three words than a more accurate one.

Now if you want the details it's not that hard to comprehend, but expect people to put their head in their hand and say "too much math.. I'm not listening..".

The gritty details

First you need to know that the value that is stored in a zbuffer is a discrete one not a continuous one, but most people (at least programmers) know that. There are usually two versions one using 16 bits of precision and one using 24 bits (some hardwares support a 32bits float, but that's not usual).

The value that is stored has an opaque representation (all that the programmer needs to know is that it has a comparison function), but for convenience and illustration purpose we'll say that it is a normalized value between 0 and 1 with an uniform distribution (a fixed precision number that moves by increments of 1/(2^n - 1)).

Now to complicate things a bit more. After having done the transform and lighting, your hardware will have to translate the x,y,z,w homogenous coordinate into a number that fits in the z buffer.

That's where znear, zfar will come into account.

Contrary to what you could guess from its name, the z buffer doesn't hold the z coordinate from your homogenous set of coordinates. But it actually holds z/w.

What's the reason for that ?

One of the reason is that z/w is linearly interpolated on the triangle. So you can compute its value at the three vertices and store directly the linearly interpolated value into your z buffer. It would not be possible with just z or just w. You would have to do the perspective correct thing, of interpolating z/w and 1/w and divide them at each pixel to get z. Why not just store the non perspective correct Z ? because then your intersection and occlusion wouldn't be perspective correct and straight lines at intersections would appear broken. Of course it's not that expensive given that you already do that for texture coordinates (but I guess when accelerated graphics was non existent it was probably a sure win).

The other reason is that it usually helps to have more precision near the observer (where polygons cover more of the screen) and storing a linear Z, would give you a uniform precision.

(There were alternatives like the WBuffer that stored linear Z (or linear W) but they became deprecated on graphics hardware a while ago.)

Now why the precision distribution ?

Ok so you hold z/w, But then what ? As I said before the zbuffer hold numbers between 0 and 1. That gives you two limits, one that is near and one that is far. If the division result of z/w is less than zero then the vertex gets clipped : it's the near plane. If the division result of z/w is more than one then the vertex gets clipped (it's the far plane).

You've got two equations from the above. The first one is z/w = 0 for the near plane. The second is z/w = 1 for the far plane. Now if you express z as a linear variation of w (which is assumed to be always the case in the regular projection), that gives you the following relation :
z = (w - wnear) * (wfar / (wfar - wnear))

You need to resolve the two equations to fall on this relation (we let the resolution of the equations as an exercise to the reader).

Here you can see the variation of z and w in relation to the distance from the eye :

The shape of z/w

So the value that is stored in the z buffer is equal to :
z/w = (wfar - (wnear * wfar)/w) / (wfar - wnear)

(the image is not an accurate hyperbolic curve but it's just for illustration purpose).

As you can see it goes through 0 at w=wnear and it goes through 1 at w=wfar, and as you go toward infinity it tends to a constant wfar/(wfar - wnear).

Of course it doesn't look so wrong on the following image, the portion that is between wfar and wnear is not linear but almost look like it.

But imagine that we make wnear tend toward zero without moving wfar. Then the limit wfar/(wfar - wnear) tends toward 1. And the scaling factor (wnear * wfar) /(wfar - wnear) tends to zero. So the result is a highly vertically compressed hyperbole function that tends toward one.

Once again, not totally accurate but to give you the general shape :

The more you approach wnear to zero, the more you compress your hyperbole function. If you try to compare the difference in precision at close distance vs long distance, almost all depth buffer values are covering close objects and a very small percentage of your depth buffer range is reserved for distant objects.

Quick example

Imagine that you set your wnear value at 1.0 and your wfar value at 10.0. How far is situated your median point ? After a quick resolution you come to the conclusion that half the values of the depth buffer are consumed between 1.0 and 1.8.

Now imagine that you set your wnear value at 0.01 and your wfar value at 10.0. After the same resolution, you come to the conclusion that half the values of your depth buffer are consumed between 0.01 and 0.02. Scariere is the fact that 90% of the depth values are consumed between 0.01 and 0.1.

You can see that if your scene has the majority of its objects that are farther than 0.1, or no objects that are closer than 0.1, then 90% of your depth precision is wasted.

Now what happen if you push the wfar value instead ? So keep the wnear value at 1.0 and the push wfar value at 1000.0. In that case half the depth values will be consumed between 1.0 and 2.0.

Generally speaking this median value is simply
wmedian = 2 * wnear * wfar / (wfar + wnear)

Now to know how much of the total visible w range, does that wmedian value represents, you can compute (wmedian - wnear) / (wfar - wnear) = wnear / (wfar + wnear).

You can see as we had already guessed that the fraction is a function of BOTH wnear and wfar and that it reduces as wnear becomes smaller and it also reduces as wfar becomes bigger. When wnear << wfar (small compared to) this percentage is almost equal to wnear/wfar. When wnear ~ wfar (almost equivalent to) this percentage tends to 50% but as a result the depth values are highly compressed.

So how to keep your depth buffer happy ?

Well the true issue is that you can't draw both objects that are very far and objects that are very near with the same depth buffer equations. If you want to draw very far objects then you need to sacrifice your near view by pushing it further. To avoid clipping artefacts you can make your collision envelope large enough so that your clip plane will never intercept an existing object within your frustum. Or you can make object gradually disappear with transparency
as they come near your clip plane.

If you want to keep near objects and at the same time draw mountains (or planets) in the far distance, then you can cut your rendering in parts. First
drawing your far objects, then clearing the depth buffer and rendering
the near objects with a different z buffer.

Hope that helps,
LeGreg

Quote:
Original post by Leo_E_49
I've heard the phrase "push your near clip plane as far away from the camera as possible". I'm just checking that this is a bit of a generalisation.

Firstly, I'm of the belief that in general, having the near clipping plane too far from the camera can cause unwanted clipping of objects some distance away from the camera (so you end up seeing the insides of stuff), depending on the scale you are using.

Triangles in front of the near clip plane (i.e. between the near clip plane and the camera) are not drawn. That is the purpose of a clip plane. In addition, triangles behind the far clip plane are also not drawn. Triangles that straddle a clip plane are "clipped". So, if you move the near clip plane out too far or the far clip plane in too close, you will clip objects that you want to be seen.

"as far away as possible" usually means as far away as the closest objects.

A good rule of thumb is to make the near clip plane no closer than 1/1000th of the distance to the farthest objects. So, if the farthest objects that you want seen are at a distance of 1000, your near clip plane should be at a distance of at least 1 in order to avoid z-fighting. If your farthest objects are at a distance of 0.01, then the near clip plane should be at a distance of at least 0.00001 in order to avoid z-fighting. If the distance to the near plane is 0.000001, then you are likely to experience z-fighting in objects that are at a distance of more than 0.001.

LeGreg, I do think you've outdone yourself!

Are you going to put that mini-article up on your site?

If not, what would you say to putting it on the Game Programming Wiki?

I think I understand now, so reducing the far/(far - near) to 1 reduces the distribution of z values over the stored depth in the buffer?

If so, what values produce and optimum distribution? Presumably we want the hyperbola to approach a straight line between (near, 0) and (far, 1)? Or would that cause artifacts between objects closely spaced close to the near clipping plane due to the lack of depth buffer values allocated to them?

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!