What to learn

Started by
50 comments, last by alexmullins 17 years, 11 months ago
What should I learn to start programming. I want to learn to make games and I am not sure what to learn.
Advertisement
Stop!

You want to learn how to program?
or
You want to learn how to make a game?

Pick ONE then proceed. Thank you.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Games are a specialized type of software. If you haven't built basic software programs such as Notepad, database management programs, etc., I'd suggest doing that first then pick up on games. If you plan to go pro, C++ is a good starting point. If its just for hobbying, either Java or C# would work.
No, no, I meant my long term goal is to make a game, but I just need to know what direction to go in. Thanks for the help.
You have a lot of choices, but just start programming. You can begin with C++ since it is a general & well used language, freely download Visual C++ 2005 Express (google), and learn C++ at www.functionx.com.
Beginner FAQ
someone should make a sticky what-language-do-I-choose-thread?
That would be here
Quote:Original post by Boder
That would be here

*gives stamp of approval*

It does a good job of being as objective as possible.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

I think if your just starting out, the best thing to do is to concentrate on the fundamentals of programming, such as variables, constants, loops, operator precedence etc... start off with a basic book of ANSI C or ANSI C++ and go from there. start off slowly as trying to do too much can be overwhelming for some and may be counter productive which will be a hindrance to your motivation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement