What to learn

Started by
50 comments, last by alexmullins 17 years, 11 months ago
You could try Python, I'm enjoying learning it.
Advertisement
yeah.. well.. I meant here on the beginner forum.. :)
Beginning game programming.

Article I wrote a while back, might help you out.
[size=2]aliak.net
you don't neccesarily need to learn to program at all. You've already got plenty of recommendations for programming languages, so I won't add any of those - if you want to learn to program just pick a language and start learning; if you tell us your choice I'm sure we can advise you on some resources for that specific language.

But first, did I just say you might not need to program? Yep. [smile] You may be able to create your game using a program such as Game Maker or Adventure Game Studio. These programs make it easier to create simple games using click&drag interfaces and setting options, as well as providing some scripting capabilities that will allow more complex things to be made. You can make some very good games using these sort of tools, and it'll probably be faster and easier than learning to program - the tradeoff for that is that you're restricted somewhat by what the programs are capable of doing, so if your idea is too complex or to different from what the program author intended you may not be able to create it with these programs. Just thought I'd present the other option since everyone else has been talking about programming.

- Jason Astle-Adams

come on Kazgoroth, who really wants to use a click 'n' drag game maker lol, learn a language and join us all at 2:00AM dosed up on coffee pumping out streams of code ;) you can't beat that feeling lol

but I agree with Kazgoroth, if your more of the 'artistic' type then a game maker would be better as coding may be not what you want to do, but considering you did state what language, I would stick with the C family of programming languages :) they will be around for eternity ;)

psst... C++ :p
Quote:Original post by nullsmind
Games are a specialized type of software. If you haven't built basic software programs such as Notepad, database management programs, etc., I'd suggest doing that first then pick up on games. If you plan to go pro, C++ is a good starting point. If its just for hobbying, either Java or C# would work.

Quote:
You have a lot of choices, but just start programming. You can begin with C++ since it is a general & well used language, freely download Visual C++ 2005 Express (google), and learn C++ at www.functionx.com.

Ok, I hate doing this, but rating-- for that bucket of ignorance and misinformation.

Could we pleeeease refrain from burdening beginners of all people with our own personal preferences and completely baseless advice based on nothing but our own lack of experience? Thank you.

C++ is not a particularly good starting point. It is *a* starting point. But only a beginner who chose C++ and is still learning it would ever say it's a *good* starting point.
And the Java/C# comment are just plain wrong. Both languages are perfectly capable of producing professional games.

Quote:
come on Kazgoroth, who really wants to use a click 'n' drag game maker lol, learn a language and join us all at 2:00AM dosed up on coffee pumping out streams of code ;) you can't beat that feeling lol

Read the first reply in this thread. If the OP wants to make games then these tools are excellent starting points.
If he wants to program games, they might not cut it. It's not neccesarily about being an "artistic type", but simply wanting to get your game done, rather than fret over nonsenlical code.

Moreover, there was a big game development contest here last summer (4e4). Guess who won? A guy using these drag & drop tools. And not because the other entries sucked. Far from it.

Quote:
considering you did state what language, I would stick with the C family of programming languages :) they will be around for eternity ;)

psst... C++ :p

Here we go again. Who gives a damn how long a language will be around? How does that help the OP?

How about instead suggesting a language that is good for people learning programming?
Oh wait, you might not have the general programming knowledge/experience required to make that recommendation. So you settle for cheerleading and pushing *your* language mindlessly?
I'm sure we all appreciate that.

And if this sounds harsh, well, it probably is. But I'm so tired of seeing people who know *one* language (or half of one, even) preach about choice of programming languages.
When i decided to try and make games i wanted to jump into it right away. But it is more complicated than that. If you choose C++ i would reccommend learning the language a bit first then put what u know into game programming...as a first book i would reccomend C++ Without Fear by Brian Overland.
Good luck in ur adventures
first of all, get off your high horse Spoonbender, I don't know WHAT your problem is but your post is rather less than useful so your a hippocrite moaning at other people who are trying to help, ATLEAST they replied with a constructive message, your just ranting rubbish.

the reason I said C++ because it is a fast and powerful language and it's worth learning, afterall MOST of the games companies require you to know C++.

what's the point of learning a language such as Turbo Pascal when it is a dead language, althought you can go on to Delphi. C++ is a wise choice for anything learning a language.

Here's my opinion on the whole programming languages thing:

Anyone can be taught to use a language, whether it's COBOL or HASKELL. To be able to program (games or otherwise) is not a skill that depends on what language you use. Rather, it depends on the methods and principles of software development that persist regardless of what language you decide to use.

Anyways, that having been said, there are a myriad of languages available, but if you want to learn a language that has TONS of game development related examples pick something popular: C++, Java, Python, etc.

Anyways, that's just my 2 cents.
Quote:
C++ is a wise choice for anything learning a language.

Perhaps in your opinion.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement