• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
tufflax

C++ documentation and libs? (Java user)

This topic is 4427 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I was reading a Java vs C++ thread and people were saying all the usual stuff about C++ being a bit faster, while Java "doesn't have" pointers but has a GC and so on. Currently I've chosen Java myself but the things mentioned has nothing to do with my choice. I chose Java because of the very good documentation on java.sun.com, and also because I'm a bit more used to it. My question though is: isn't there useful libraries with good documentation for C++? I know about the differances between the languages but where do people turn when they are in need of help? Example (with Java): I need a queue. I go to java.sun.com and look at the queue interface. I then look at LinkedList which implements the queue interface and decide that it is what I need, and I can learn everything I want from that page. If I were in the same situation when writing in C++ I would have no idea where to look for things, so where to look is basically what I wonder. [Edited by - tufflax on May 6, 2006 4:25:34 AM]

Advertisement
My favorite place for the STL is the SGI website. The Boost website is good if you plan on using it, but I can get by on my small-fry home-brewed code.

For general language information, I actually favor the Microsoft Developer Network. For C++'s more intimate quirks, check out Parashift C++ FAQ.

That's about all I have off the top of my head, but google is much better at this than I am! [grin]

I use pretty much the same resources as templewulf, except I use MSDN for stl references as well.

For the type of reference you're talking about, MSDN will siffice. If you ever want to dig deeper, the the c++ lite faq is awsome. And if you ever want to start using a c++ super library of a sorts, then look to boost.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!