• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Flashing,horizontal red stripes

This topic is 4274 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I tried to create a simple system that allows me to arrange renderpasses as a tree-like structure(shadowmap pass feeds it's renderTarget in all other passes for example). When i just render to the backbuffer everything works fine but after adding another pass which renders to a texture i get horizontal red lines flashing in front of my scene(so the scene gets rendered to the backbuffer). The texture of the render-to-texture-pass isn't used in any way. I think i had an error like this a while ago but i can't remember what it was caused by. Maybe somebody could jog my memory. PS: sadly i can't post screenshots as the stripes don't appear on them regards, m4gnus

Advertisement
Are you sure its not magenta/pink stripes? The debug runtimes will insert alternating magenta/green screens when presenting uncleared buffers.

Have you checked the debug runtimes output (max output/validation)? If you've messed up a parameter thats consequently failing a call, thus leaving something in an invalid state it should show up in the debug output.

Also, do you get similar issues with the reference rasterizer?

hth
Jack

yes they're more magenta than red.

Quote:

Have you checked the debug runtimes output (max output/validation)? If you've messed up a parameter thats consequently failing a call, thus leaving something in an invalid state it should show up in the debug output.

yes i checked it but there's nothing strange in the debug spew.

but the magenta only appear when i create my device render with HAL(in REF the stripes are gone)

Quote:

presenting uncleared buffers.

what buffers could that be?

regards,
m4gnus

Quote:
Original post by m4gnus
Quote:

presenting uncleared buffers.

what buffers could that be?
Usually the back-buffer, I'm don't think it'll also happen with render-targets. If you just keep looping through Present() calls it should alternate between bright green and bright pink - or go so fast that you get a fuzzy brown colour [smile]

Although, if it is this, then you should be seeing some green as well as magenta. I seem to remember there being other "codes" used by the debug runtime, but I dont think they're documented anywhere and I can't remember them off the top of my head [oh]

As a suggestion - run a full call-stream capture via PIX and then step through it, see if you can isolate where the problem lies. Capturing PIX via the HAL should yield the same results - just much slower...

hth
Jack

i only get magenta stripes(at least i only notice the magenta ones).
I never used pix, i don't even know what exactly it does.

regards,
m4gnus

wow pix rockz. I found some points in the run file that don't look right.
Just before calling device.Clear() i set 2 differenent renderTargets(there are 2 SetRenderTarget calls right before clear with 2 different values as the 2nd parameter) and clear is called with strange parameters: pix says Clear is calles like that: IDirect3DDevice9::Clear(0x000000000,NULL,0x00000000,D3DCOLOR_ARGB(0x00,0x00,0x00,0x00),0.00f,0x00000000)

which makes no sense to me as i'm clearing everything to D3DCOLOR_XRGB(50, 50, 100).

Maybe posting my render function helps:

void ngRenderPass::render()
{
ngEngine &engine=ngEngine::getInstance();
//engine.g_pD3DDevice->SetRenderTarget(0,*backbuffer); //set the backbuffer as renderTarget

pcam->update();

float aspect;

if(isEnd) //check if this is the last pass(the pass that finally renders to the backbuffer)
{
aspect=engine.getRes().x/engine.getRes().y;
engine.g_pD3DDevice->SetRenderTarget(0,*engine.getBackBuffer());
}else
{
aspect=1.0f;
LPDIRECT3DSURFACE9 target= *outTextures[0].getD3DSurface();
engine.g_pD3DDevice->SetRenderTarget(0,target);

}
engine.g_pD3DDevice->Clear(NULL,NULL,D3DCLEAR_TARGET|D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER,D3DCOLOR_XRGB(50, 50, 100),1.0f,0);

pcam->createProjMatrix(aspect);

engine.g_pD3DDevice->BeginScene();
int matSize=matChanges.size();
int mtrxSize=matrixChanges.size();

for(std::vector<matChange>::iterator matIt=matChanges.begin();matIt!=matChanges.end();++matIt)
{
ngMaterial *mat=matIt->mat;
LPD3DXEFFECT effect=mat->getEffect();
for(std::vector<matrixChange>::iterator mtrxIt=matIt->startMatrix;mtrxIt!=matIt->endMatrix;++mtrxIt)
{

int size;
D3DXHANDLE *passTextureHandles=mat->getPassTextureHandles(&size);
for(int i=0;i<size;i++)
effect->SetTexture(passTextureHandles[i],inTextures[i]->getD3DTexture());

effect->SetMatrix(mat->getWorldHandle(),mtrxIt->world);
effect->SetMatrix(mat->getViewHandle(),&pcam->getViewMatrix());
effect->SetMatrix(mat->getProjHandle(),&pcam->getProjMatrix());
effect->SetMatrix(mat->getAllHandle(),&((*(mtrxIt->world))*(pcam->getViewMatrix())*(pcam->getProjMatrix())));

unsigned int numPasses=mat->begin();
for(unsigned int pass=0;pass<numPasses;pass++)
{
mat->beginPass(i);

for(std::vector<CBaseMesh *>::iterator meIt=mtrxIt->startMesh;meIt!=mtrxIt->endMesh;++meIt)
{
Draw((**meIt).pVBuff,(**meIt).pIBuff);

}

mat->endPass();

}

}
engine.g_pD3DDevice->EndScene();
engine.g_pD3DDevice->Present(NULL,NULL,NULL,NULL);

}
}

Edit: btw i tried taking a screenshot with pix and got a solid magenta image.

regards,
m4gnus

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement