• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
barnzy

designing a fighting game

This topic is 4576 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi every one i am designing a fighting game like mortal,tekke,street fighter etc.. but i dont know whwere to start i have all the characters names and moves on paper iahve their bio's and winning bios on paper i'm downloading direct x as we speak i also have 3d poser a program where you can design characters pose them and animate them, i have a c++ compiler, the thing is what do i do after that how do i make the characters fight what program can i buy to make background for my fighters board? basically i need help like getting the game started the designing process can any one help me or send me to any forums or tutorals for making a platform fighting game.oh ye how do i program the computer to fight you and do moves ad ye ye ye i did go out and get the book ai programming.

Advertisement
Okay, I know this is going to make me sound like I'm trying to belittle you, but I'm not. First of all, read over your post before you hit the post button. Fix all the spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes that you can find. Make sure that you have capital letters in all the right places.

Your post here is a good indication of what people are able to read easily (I'm not sure if the grammar was originally there, or was put in by Fruny). If people are attempting to help you, you don't want to inadvertently make it harder by having a hard to read post. I counted several grammatical mistakes, and you often put the content for 3-4 sentences into a single sentence, and that made it hard to seperate all the things you were asking about.

Anyway, to your post:

You've already started the design process for the game, and that's good. But have you had any experience with programming? If not, this is a thread that I just took a look at that lists a couple of links to learn about programming languages. I also took a look through this page and it seems to go through most things relevant to picking a language to learn.

Not going into specifics, because I'm tired and there isn't enough detail to go into specifics:

To make the characters fight, when the user presses a button or a sequence of buttons, a particular animation for the character will be played, then during every frame of that animation, you will need to look for any collisions between the player's character and the computer character. If there is a collision and it's between the player's hands, or feet and any part of the computer character's body, then it's likely that the computer character needs to have damage dealt to it.

I don't actually know of any forums or tutorials dealing solely with this type of game, but someone else might.

Helping with the design process on the programming side of things is harder, again because we don't yet have enough details on your game. Most likely because it sounds like you haven't picked a language to program it in. Take a look at the links that I gave, give it some thought and then get back to us. We'll probably be able to help more then.

Hope I helped.

Yeah, if you are going to make the game yourself ( programming & graphix ), and you dont have any previous knowledge of programming, your going to have to put this project on hold for awhile. However, you could always go to the get help forum, and see if someone would do the programming part, while you do the graphical part. Hope that helps [smile]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!