sockets

Started by
8 comments, last by pnroach 17 years, 11 months ago
hi there i am looking for some free light weight & easy-to-use socket server library in c++. i want it to do the following : ** listen to specified port for incoming client signals ** have a bunch of overridable routines for connection, data receiving events ** send and receive plain text strings any suggestions?
Advertisement
Raknet...

theTroll
asio (http://asio.sourceforge.net/)

it is worth noting that i am going to use sockets for transferring data on a localy (not over any network). so won't using those libraries be sort of "overreacting"?
Why are you using "sockets" to move data locally? Does not make sense to me. Please explain what you are trying to do.

theTroll
Using sockets is using sockets. whether it's local machine or not the logic is the same.

-me
@ TheTroll

i use sockets for data exchange between FLASH movie and my app.
I can store characters in a long, that does not mean that it is a good idea.

theTroll
Never thought of doing that. Yeah Raknet would be some seroius overkill. It is not hard to write a simple socket libray that would do what you need it to. What language and are you using .net?

theTroll
my app will be written in C++. no .net though.

the movie will send XML docs via socket and my app will have to analyze them and respond sending XML stuff back to the movie

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement