[java] A Java Compiler????

Started by
9 comments, last by funbit 17 years, 11 months ago
I cant find a java compiler. I found plenty of websites with tutorials but no compiler. I need a compiler that can do java3d. Free compiler would be best!! Can someone please post a link in this thread?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by funbit
I cant find a java compiler. I found plenty of websites with tutorials but no compiler. I need a compiler that can do java3d. Free compiler would be best!!
Can someone please post a link in this thread?

You need to download the Java SDK from Sun's site: Java Platform, Standard Edition (Java SE).
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
And in case you mean IDE and not compiler, NetBeans and Eclipse are a couple of good free options.

shmoove
Hi,

If you do actually mean a Java native compiler, check out Java native compilers.

- Chris
"More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity" - William Wulf

"Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that a human can understand"

In addition to the FREE java SDK which comes with the java compiler you will need the Java3D SDK.

Java3D Homepage
Java3D SDK Download Page

Install the Java SDK first and then the Java3D and you should be set to start on those tutorials and examples.
I am a bit confused!! I dont want to make .exe's, just java files. I got and installed the java sdk. I have notepad2 which can save as java files(.java) But in the jdk folder there is a include folder?? What do I do to type out java files simply.
Well, you might want to look for a Hello World tutorial or some tutorial for beginners starting to get into Java.

But I'll give you a crash course

class HelloWorld {     public static void main( String args[] ) {          System.out.println("Hello World!");     }}

Take the above code and save it to a java file named HelloWorld

Then you have a couple options to compile it to a .class file which is the file extension of compiled java programs.

You can either use the command line
javac HelloWorld.java

you need to be in the directory that the file is in if you want to use the command line.

Or you can download an IDE (Integrated Development Enviroment) I would recommend JCreator LE

once that is installed open the file HelloWorld.java with JCreator there will be
a blue down arrow on top of a file icon. That compiles the file and then the blue right arrow will execute the created HelloWorld.class file.

very easy and painless. Any further question please direct to google
The Java Tutorial can help you step by step.

shmoove
I got the JCreator LE,love it!! I also got and installed the java3d sdk.
Ok,I try to use Jcreator to make a class file and it does it but when I try to run the program(in Jcreator) it says

"Exception in thread "Thread-2" java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0\jre\bin\J3D.dll: One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found
at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1751)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1668)
at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:822)
at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:992)
at javax.media.j3d.MasterControl$22.run(MasterControl.java:889)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at javax.media.j3d.MasterControl.loadLibraries(MasterControl.java:886)
at javax.media.j3d.VirtualUniverse.<clinit>(VirtualUniverse.java:229)
at javax.media.j3d.Canvas3D.<clinit>(Canvas3D.java:3533)
at lesson01.init(lesson01.java:24)
at com.sun.j3d.utils.applet.MainFrame.run(MainFrame.java:262)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:595)

I went and looked in the java bin,There is no j3d.dll
I installed the java3d sdk so whats up?
Also how do you run class files?

Hi,

j3d.dll is part of Java3D which I'm sure will install into it's own directory (I could be wrong, last installed Java3D ages ago), so you won't find the dll in the Java SDK folder.

You have a classpath problem, I've never used JCreator so I don't know how, but there should be some way to tell it where the dll is.

In netBeans for example you right click on the project to get to properties and from there you can add compile time dependancies like dlls.

The simplest way to solve your problem is to copy and paste the dll into the same folder the .class file is compiled into. Then it will automatically be part of the classpath.

I realise I've probably confused you more and for that I apologise. Somebody who uses JCreator will be able to give you a step by step tutorial on how to set up dependancies (the website probably does for one).

- Chris
"More computing sins are committed in the name of efficiency than for any other single reason - including blind stupidity" - William Wulf

"Any fool can write code that a computer can understand. Good programmers write code that a human can understand"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement