Where to start?

Started by
19 comments, last by laserdude45 17 years, 11 months ago
Where should I start on my journey of Dx9c? The doucmetion? Gameinstitue? Where?
Advertisement
Steps to DirectX 9 Mastery:

1. Decide if you want to do it the easy way or the hard way(ie. managed or native code).
2. Download the appropriate compiler.
3. View all the wonderful tutorials on the various web sites listed in this forum's FAQ.
4. Write appropriate code from tutorials and ensure absorption of knowledge by making changes to the code that demonstrate an understanding of the concepts.
5(optional). If you chose managed code, pick up a copy of "Managed DirectX 9 Graphics and Game Programming" by Tom Miller. If you chose native code, pick up a copy of "Introduction to 3D Game Programming with DirectX 9.0" by Frank D. Luna.
6. Read
7. Code
8. Repeat until mastery is achieved.

Hope that helps get you started.

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
Quote:Original post by laserdude45
Where should I start on my journey of Dx9c? The doucmetion? Gameinstitue? Where?

That depends on your math and programming background.
Care to share?
Quote:Original post by deffer

That depends on your math and programming background.
Care to share?

Forgot about that. I was offering more of a general purpose program, but if you share your math and programming background, I'm sure we can come up with a custom program tailored specifically for you [smile]

-AJ
V/R,-AJThere are 10 kinds of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't...
My background on these are:

3 Years of general programming.
A few months of C++.
A half of a year with Java.

Math:
E... Im a little scared to say because of my age.
But I will say I know a LITTLE of calcus.
Umm Im not in high school yet so I wouldnt have math knowledge on
that level. Of course I know adding subtraction multiplication divison.
I know a little bit of algerbra.

I hope I gave enough information on this.
I'd say, get the latest DirectX SDK and Visual Studio Express and jump right in. Read the documentation and try to understand the theory. If you understand the theory, try and jump into the implementation. Don't be scared and just try until you get it right. Read some tutorials if you can/want.
But I will say I know a LITTLE of calcus.
[...]
I know a little bit of algerbra.

Calculus is not needed, IMO, but I think you should get a little more of algebra.
It will help you immediately understand many samples of code, that do not have sufficient amount of comments/documentation, or simply expect an experienced reader (common case). And it prevents from flooding the forums with same old basic questions, that have the same old answer everytime ("get a book, man!").

Other than that, jump into tutorials from DX SDK, they are great! Samples are much harder, IMO, so I would try to implement something on your own before examining them.
Quote:Original post by u235

1. Decide if you want to do it the easy way or the hard way(ie. managed or native code).

I wouldn't put it like that. While I agree Managed DirectX can be esier to play with for a beginner, labeling them with 'easy'/'hard' might be misleading.

My project`s facebook page is “DreamLand Page”

Quote:Original post by Calin
Quote:Original post by u235

I wouldn't put it like that. While I agree Managed DirectX can be esier to play with for a beginner, labeling them with 'easy'/'hard' might be misleading.

Duely noted, however, I wasn't exactly referring to just the DirectX part. In terms of learning curve, C# or VB.NET is always going to win out over C/C++. He did say that he has ~3 years programming, a few months of that being C++, though, so if he already knows the language and is comfortable with it then it may be a moot point. I know in my case I was struggling with DirectX in C++ just due to the nature of the language. As soon as I started coding in C# my productivity skyrocketed. Different strokes for different folks, I guess. That's why I labeled them easy/hard. But again, your point is well taken and I apologize to the OP for any confusion it may have caused.

-AJ
So you think C# is easier... Well I guess I can give it a try :) .

EDIT: Woah C# Java! They are almost the exact same! This is going to be EASY to learn.

[Edited by - laserdude45 on May 7, 2006 6:41:58 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement