Preventing kamikaze griefing

Started by
47 comments, last by swiftcoder 17 years, 11 months ago
I don't understand why you want to limit the broadside tatic in the first place.

The classic tatic is to gain a wind advantage and monuer for a broadside if you have an advantage in guns. If you don't you want to cross the T and fire in the the rear of the enmey ship while avoiding thier broadside.

If experinced players earn heavier class ships then you have solved the noob ramming them repeatedly they will sink first.

Go play Pirates, :)
Advertisement
Or you can make it so big ship 'ramming' creates waves that tend to sweep small ships away, effectively preventing contact.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Quote:Original post by Torvald
I don't understand why you want to limit the broadside tatic in the first place.

Wait, what? What suggested that I was trying to limit broadsides?
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:Original post by Radan
or can just be faster and more agile, alowing the bigger player to enjoy some nice dodging manouvers on its side (think toreador and a bull).
Hmmmm. Perhaps. I'm not sure it makes more sense for larger ships to be more agile.

"Big ships don't care , small ships can dodge" is probably the best tactic but I just wanted to point out one other thing.

When you enhance your ship, I think you should be able to take more than one route, most noticable one being:

I. Increase armor, size and firepower of the ship, turning it more and more into a moving fortress. That would be an "I don't care ship".

II. Increase agility , speed, manouvarebilty. So instead of investing in raw power you invest in speed things, making this high-level ship a very tactical one. That one could try and use its speed to always stay on the weak side of number one ship.

Now, suppose you're thinking , but that II. option will make a ship that can easily outrun any newbie and ram him while not looking. Well, one they invested that much into sails and hull shape and lightness, than it will not have that advanced armor and weapons, so a newbie could stand a chance in gunfight. Besides newbies should be on a lookout for stronger ships and avoid them. Cause if they don't see II. ship coming its way from a mile away then they will not see neither I. ship and if that comes anyway close its just gonna blast the hell out of it anyway.

P.S. You said sails. How realistic are you making your wind simulations?
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
Quote:Original post by Radan
When you enhance your ship, I think you should be able to take more than one route, most noticable one being:

I. Increase armor, size and firepower of the ship, turning it more and more into a moving fortress. That would be an "I don't care ship".

II. Increase agility , speed, manouvarebilty. So instead of investing in raw power you invest in speed things, making this high-level ship a very tactical one. That one could try and use its speed to always stay on the weak side of number one ship.

I do like that idea... in the stuff I've done so far, ship design has been an integral part of the gameplay (players shape their own hulls and lay out their own decks).

Quote:P.S. You said sails. How realistic are you making your wind simulations?

Pretty realistic. Players have the option of manually trimming their sails, and any players who assume that maximum speed comes from putting their sails perpendicular to the wind vector will quickly be disabused of that notion. On the other hand, there will be a fudge factor in play; ships which find themselves in irons will find it easier to recover than they would in real life, and beating upwind will be a less onerous process than in real life.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Quote:P.S. You said sails. How realistic are you making your wind simulations?

Pretty realistic. Players have the option of manually trimming their sails, and any players who assume that maximum speed comes from putting their sails perpendicular to the wind vector will quickly be disabused of that notion. On the other hand, there will be a fudge factor in play; ships which find themselves in irons will find it easier to recover than they would in real life, and beating upwind will be a less onerous process than in real life.

I would really like to have a look at the wip or a final thing. I trained sailing reguraly for several years and still sail whener I can so I really like the subject.
-----------------Always look on the bright side of Life!
When the ship is destroyed, it creates an explosion (a radius damage), drops its vault (its a treasure chest).

To prevent smaller ships from continously ramming, you can give the ship a respawn time. If you have an rpg-level system you can make the respawn dependant on that. The respawn system could be more sophisticated if need be, dying over n number times in a certain time period increases your deathRatio, similary it can also decrease.
Example:
respawnTime = (levelOfShip*n)*deathRatio
goldInDroppedVault = (levelOfShip*m)

To prevent the larger ships from ramming smaller you have the explosion factor, which damages the surviving ship creating ailments such as slower movement, deck fires, dead motors (or whatever). The larger ship would would then have to waddle back to port to get repaired. The larger ship can get have equipment to pick up the vault, the smaller ship generally wont have that.

[Edited by - Aiursrage2k on May 7, 2006 11:15:50 PM]
Insufficent Information: we need more infromationhttp://staff.samods.org/aiursrage2k/
It seems that this game would have an extensive reliance on money. So to fix the kamikaze from happening intentionally, have money awarded for every hit, but award nothing for kamikaze attacks.
It sounds to me like the biggest problem would be high level players intentionally running over low level players. They already aren't motivated to do that, since killing low level players doesn't have much of a reward. To discourage them further, have an "honor" rating that everyone can see, that is affected by cowardly tactics such as ramming low level players. An MMO could get really boring if nobody fights you because they know you use cheap tactics, and the bullies will leave on their own.
You could also make experience adjustments when players ram - a captain that doesn't know how to avoid hitting another ship isn't going to be seen as very competent (I assume experience in this game is best described as "prestige"). This could mean that the player doesn't gain experience for a short period of time or some attribute is lowered. However any collision penality could still be abused by low level griefiers - intentional ram into other ships simply to annoy players by the fact that they make them lose XP. You always have to plan for people that will play entirely to make the game unfun for others. A good way of helping is to create a "newbie island" (perhaps in this case "newbie lagoon"), an area isolated from the rest of the game world. This not only prevents high level players from attacking low level players, but it also requires that new accounts gain a certain amount of experience before they can interact with the main world. This makes it much more work for a griefier to create a new character purely to harass others.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement