• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Replicon

To multithread or not to multithread

This topic is 4422 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

What are your preferences for multithreading when coming up with a design? Do you like sticking chunks of game tasks into seperate threads (e.g. a thread for rendering, which does nothing but read the state and render), or do you prefer to do everything in one thread (well, I guess a lot of stuff happens in other threads anyway, like kicking off background music or something, but I'm talking more about design). I haven't really played around with multithreading, but am wondering what your experiences are with it, and whether it affected performance in a noticeable manner. Also, I remember reading a long time ago that threading in Linux is kind of crappy, due to the poorly-implemented thread context switching (to the point where it's easier to switch between actual processes). Is that still true?

Advertisement
Multithread when you have a blocking function that takes a long time to complete. A blocking function is one that stops anything else from processing while it is taking place. Things that do this are networking, file reads, ect.

theTroll

Quote:
Original post by Replicon
Also, I remember reading a long time ago that threading in Linux is kind of crappy, due to the poorly-implemented thread context switching (to the point where it's easier to switch between actual processes). Is that still true?

Well, from what I've read in Linux there is no difference between a "thread" and a "process" from the kernels point of view, they are both just "tasks".
A thread is a task that simply shares memory with another, its parent. This allows for various degrees of task cooperation, like having tasksshare only certain data , like only open files or only memory.

Don't mean to scare you out of trying something new and interesting, as that is how we all learn to do things that haven't been done [or learn to do them better], but with regard to multithreading, be aware that a good multithreaded interdependant program components [like making rendering seperate from game logic seperate from physics] is something like dancing ballet through a minefeild. It can be done gracefully, and when it is done perfectly, it's just like preforming the same task outside of the minefield. But one miss step, and stuff goes from perfect to really bad, really fast. In all honesty, stuff like networking, and extra-file management [like loading new meshes before they appear on screen, or getting the next map transition loaded from the file] can work pretty good. Those processes can be made completely seperate, in a sense, in that the relationship of information exchange is never two way, always one way [info coming in, OR info going out, no active conversation-like information exchange, no shared data]. Trying to seperate things like physics and rendering, creates huge problems very fast with data that is accessed for different reasons by different components, and more importantly, modified by different components. You'll have to spend a lot of your extra programming time trying to find ways of making the systems not step all over eachother, and it's very messy and complicated.

If you want to try it, more power to ya! Maybe you'll come up with the graceful way of doing it, but in all honesty, it's pretty rough. At the very least it'll be a learning experience though....

iv never ran into a problem in game code that would justify the intoducing sycronization issues of multithreadting, also note that having too many mutexed critical section will quicky cost you any preformacne you might have gained by multithreadting

Quote:
Original post by Kaze
iv never ran into a problem in game code that would justify the intoducing sycronization issues of multithreadting, also note that having too many mutexed critical section will quicky cost you any preformacne you might have gained by multithreadting

And with the dissent, I have run into problems that justify it.

Make your decision now though. Somewhat like multiplayer/networking, multithreaded design has requirements that are difficult to impossible to add on later if the system was not designed with its use in mind.

It's all in how you implement it. Multithreading is a disaster if you get it wrong.
I've seen far more cases of BAD multithreading than Good. It's not pretty.

My advice: start small with networking and file reading. Work yourself up to rendering and physics after you've gotten a handle on things.

And for gosh sakes, don't make 500 mutexes for less than 5 threads. It's a bad idea. TRUST ME!!

I think a rendering thread is a good idea, it means you can control render framerate (which is what gives the illusion of smoothness) while doing 'slow' stuff like precaching textures for the next part of the game in the background. Rendering shouldn't need to update any other parts of the game data so is a natural separate thread. This probably includes sounds too – 'rendering to the ears'.

Physics is good to take into a separate thread too (for the same control reasons), but can be hard to separate from the main game data – it needs to see and update models, entities and maybe textures (if you place decals of explosion marks etc) which will also be being looked at by resource loaders etc.

Resource loaders should be in a separate thread because some of what they do is blocking and slow (loading files, particularly off CD or network, decompressing data etc). If it has to wake up your hard disk, slow could mean up to 5s! So unless you load everything at the start of the level, your game will freeze for a moment while the function completes. Again this is a relatively easy one to make separate, as it has sole control over the resources and can set a flag when it's done loading one, before which no other component is allowed to touch it.

Quote:
having too many mutexed critical section will quicky cost you any preformacne you might have gained by multithreadting

This is absolutely true. Multithreading only works if you have the design right and aren't getting held up on synchronised sections. You can protect some area which might, once in a blue moon, have two modules trying to access them, but most data should either be (a) only written to from one thread, or (b) it doesn't actually matter if occasionally a write gets dropped.

Quote:
What are your preferences for multithreading when coming up with a design?

I try to keep tasks separate, so that they can be put into separate threads if I decide so. I never (well, hardly ever) decide "hey, I wanna use some threads! Where can I fit them in?"

Quote:
Original post by Spoonbender
Quote:
What are your preferences for multithreading when coming up with a design?

I try to keep tasks separate, so that they can be put into separate threads if I decide so. I never (well, hardly ever) decide "hey, I wanna use some threads! Where can I fit them in?"

That's my attitude as well. I don't seek out reasons to use the technology, but rather seek out technology to suit my purposes. Rendering does sound like a good thing to separate, but then, even if you have more control over the framerate, if something slows down your main thread, you'll just display the same frame over and over with a higher frame rate :-). You can do interpolation both ways too.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!