• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  

Quick Equation Question

This topic is 4310 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

This should be a quickie, I hope. from: http://remi.coulom.free.fr/Publications/Thesis.pdf, Appendix: C This equation should prove useful for my race-track analysis tool for my AI. One problem... I've no idea what any of that says! I assume "det" is determinant. Correct? If so, determinant of WHAT exactly. The top is (vectorA-vectorB, VectorC-vectorD). So its a 4x1 if you think of each vector component. The bottom... I dont even know where to begin. What do the "double absolute value" signs mean? It appears to reduce to 6x1 on the bottom, again, counting each vector component. Does anyone know what's up with this thing? I appreciate any help.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by CombatWombat
I assume "det" is determinant. Correct?
Looks like it.
Quote:
If so, determinant of WHAT exactly. The top is (vectorA-vectorB, VectorC-vectorD). So its a 4x1 if you think of each vector component.
In mathematics--actually, pretty much everywhere except DirectX--vectors are "column vectors". So the argument is a 2x2 matrix.
Quote:
What do the "double absolute value" signs mean?
They refer to the length (norm) of the vector. So it's three scalar lengths multiplied together.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement